Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Copying Songs and/or Recordings To A New Project

Started by Ruckman65, December 10, 2019, 09:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckman65

I copied songs from one project to another then removed the midi presets in the copied songs. Unfortunately, it also removed the midi presets in the original. Is there a way to copy a song from one project to another allowing the manipulation of midi prests in the copy that do not affect the original?

Also, the projects share many of the same recordings. I assume the recordings also need to be copied from one project to the other. Do they need to be renamed in the new project?

arlo

If you copy a song, using the Copy button, the new copy will be independent and can be edited without affecting the original. If you change the projects that a song is assigned to, using the Projects checkboxes, the same song will appear in both projects and any edits will affect both projects. It sounds like you either did the latter instead of the former, or you were still viewing the original songs in the original project when you removed the MIDI presets.

If you copy a song, you will need to re-upload recordings to the new copy; the recordings won't be copied automatically. The names can be the same. If you change the projects that a song is assigned to, the recordings will automatically be assigned to the same projects.

Ruckman65

Thank you, Arlo. I'm now not exactly sure what I did but I will follow your instructions and see how that goes.

Ruckman65

Is it best to do this on the iPad or through my Bandhelper account online?

arlo

For a few items it doesn't matter, but for many items the website is usually better because it offers quicker navigation and batch-update options.

Ruckman65

On the website, in Project A, I copy a song so that there is Original Song and Original Song copy. What is the appropriate way to get Original Song copy into Project B, independant of Original Song in Project A?

Am I correct in assuming that two copies of the recording will need to be in the database to cover Original Song and Original Song copy?

arlo

You would edit "Original Song copy" and change the Projects field to remove it from the original project and add it to the new project. You can also remove "copy" from the name.

And yes, recordings aren't copied with the songs, so you would need to upload the recording again to "Original Song copy."

Ruckman65

Thank you for the clarification, Arlo. Probably nowhere near a priority but it would be great one day to be simply able to 'cut and paste' from one project to another. I understand the logistics of what it may take to have that work within a database which makes the probability unlikely given that there may not be much of a need for that.

arlo

That sounds cool, but I'd have to be pretty creative because I haven't seen any web apps that work that way. In most cases, people are just sharing songs across projects rather than making new copies.

Ruckman65

As we know, sharing songs across projects precludes the possibility of editing one without affecting the other. So, for now at least, I will use the copy method you have described as awkward as it is! Adding a new copy of the recording for an independantly editable song is a bit of a pain.

Ruckman65

Having said that though, I still must congratulate you on the absolute best app I have ever used. It has made my musical life so much easier.

arlo