Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Sharing wih another solo account holder.

Started by Mr. K. Ross "Kim" Gardner, April 28, 2020, 07:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. K. Ross "Kim" Gardner

Arlo,
What is the intended way for 2 BandHelper solo users to share their complete data. Is this only possible by rolling both accounts into one 2-5 member group account?  If so, please reply by private email and I will share the oher solo account and top up the newly created solo account with my solo account and pay the remainder to get the 2-5 account up to a year from now. If not how do we copy the data over?

arlo

Both users will need to be in the same account to share data. You might still maintain separate accounts if either of you have other projects that the other is not involved with, but one of you will have to add the other one to your account so you have one account in common for shared projects.

At a gig, then, we can both be logged in on one account on our two personal devices?

arlo

Arlo, I'm having trouble understanding the distinction between two people using the same data by logging on with two devices to one Solo Artist account and/or using a Band Members 2-5 account. By the very name, I assumed that when two musicians want to work with the same data, they ought to go to 2-5 Member Band account. Even if one wants to be "honest" and have two "band" musicians use the app on stage, it appears from your answer that they need only have one solo artist account. Can you help me understand how this account choice decision was intended to work so that functionality and pricing balance off and what you intended when you designed the app functionality and pricing grid. I gladly support your app and your efforts. I am constantly astounded at what you generously offer and maintain with your app. BandHelper is the best value available and offers musicians constant improvements/developments in response to user requests. The issue presently for me is not wanting to overcomplicate use and needlessly introduce a hefty learning curve. I will gladly pay the little money required to upgrade to a 2-5 Member Band account but don't want to lose my way migrating to it. Will I have to re-enter data or preferences?  Will it work almost the same as Solo Artist?

arlo

Maybe I misunderstood your question. There are accounts and there are users within accounts. Two people sharing data will need to use the same account, but should use separate users within that account. That's how it's designed to work and that's what the pricing is based on.

So when you asked "can both be logged in on one account," the answer was yes. If you had asked "can both be logged with the same username," I would have said no. Does that help?

The only difference between a Solo account and a 2-5 user account is that you can add more users to a 2-5 user account. You won't have to learn anything new, unless you get into the functionality for customizing or limiting what different users can view or edit.

The need for migrating data depends on what you have now. If one of you already has the data set up in your account, that person should add the other person to that account where the data is. If you both already have the data set up in both accounts, you should choose the one with the best data and use that and abandon the other. If neither of you have any data set up in either account, you should choose which account is most suitable for this project (typically the account owned by the person who has the greater long-term commitment to the project) and add the other user and whatever data you need to that project.

Now let's say you decide to use person A's account for this project and you add person B to it. Does person B still need an account? If person B is only interested in accessing the project owned by person A, then no. If person B has some other projects that don't involve person A, then yes. In the latter case, person B would log into person A's account to access person A's project and log into his own account to access other projects that don't involve person A.

I'm afraid this explanation makes it sound more complicated than it is. I'm trying to spell out all the options because I don't know your exact situation.

Your answer clears it up for me quite well. I'm going to upgrade to 2-5 Member Band Pro Account.

arlo

dr_rollo

Not sure if my question fits into this topic. I like to share one of my projects to a colleague who has his own BandHelper Account for his projects. I would not have a problem to add a user in my 6-20 user account, but it's actually not an option that he use a separate device for logging on with another account, nor switch between accounts on his device.
In Dropbox it looks quite nice, because I can share a folder to another user who also have a Dropbox account, and he see my shared folder merged between the folder in his Dropbox. Isn't that possible for BandHelper, too?

arlo

it's actually not an option that he use a separate device for logging on with another account, nor switch between accounts on his device.

Why not? You should be able to add any number of accounts on a single device and easily switch between them.

dr_rollo

Maybe I was wrong or thought too complicate. I just tried to add a new project, and there I need to add an account, user ID and Password. So I guess I just to add him to my account as user, share one or more projects with him, and when he add a new project on his device, using the credential I pass to him, and than he should see the projects from my account I shared with him. Correct?

arlo