Main Menu
Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Rename some modules?

Started by arlo, August 03, 2020, 10:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I rename some modules with simpler names?

Yes, this will be better for new users, and existing users will get used to it.
11 (22.4%)
No, the current names are fine and it's not worth changing them.
38 (77.6%)

Total Members Voted: 49

arlo

This is one of those things that I might have done differently if I were starting BandHelper over again, but it could be quite disruptive to change now. The current module names include Repertoire, Schedule and Finance. Would BandHelper be more inviting if those had "friendlier" names like Music, Calendar and Money?

I tend to think the current names are more precise and these names might mislead people about the functionality. For example, people might think "Music" functions like their iTunes library, or "Finance" accepts payments for merch sales. But I'm curious to hear your thoughts about it.

Bibo69

Since I am using BandHelper for years, it doesn't make any difference to me. If for new customers it easier to acquire them with new module names, I would not mind a change.

Cheers,
Bibo

Ahiru

Moon Dog

Hey Arlo...its Moon Dog...hope you are well my friend.

I have been thinking about you lately...You saved me so much work because of the way you designed the software....I can't thank you enough.

As far as the titles go, as you may remember I was with you almost from the beginning back in the SetList Maker days. Loved it....

On the iPad.
Repertoire always gets me to this day...I can't even spell it. I have been in bands since I was 14 years old....I cannot remember once where one of my bandmates stated....did we get the Repertoire created yet or can you make me a copy of the repertoire....also never saw an enclosed copy of a repertoire in Nashville on display..... It has been and will always be known as a setlist.

In thinking about this all the other links you see when you select Repertoire, like Midi Presets, Custom Fields, Layouts etc....none of these are in the Repertoire category from my perspective. What I would do is replace Repertoire with SetList and go straight to the SetLists. You could put Smart lists at the bottom of this page...and put everything else under Settings. Thats the way my mind works....If I am working on Settings I want access to all. When I want to work with setlists...just let me go there....99% of the time its to play shows or practice and to streamline this would improve my UI experience. (Also Default the Layouts...one less click. I use the same layout 99.999% of the time)
Thanks for letting the community provide feedback.

Moon Dog

arlo

Repertoire always gets me to this day...I can't even spell it. I have been in bands since I was 14 years old....I cannot remember once where one of my bandmates stated....did we get the Repertoire created yet or can you make me a copy of the repertoire....also never saw an enclosed copy of a repertoire in Nashville on display..... It has been and will always be known as a setlist.

That's a fair point. However, Repertoire is not a synonym for Set List. It's a wider concept covering all the songs your band could play, and in BandHelper, it's even wider to cover things connected to songs like MIDI presets. So a friendlier replacement would be Music. However, "music" is even broader and can imply different things in different contexts, while "repertoire" specifically means "music that a band knows how to play."

When I want to work with setlists...just let me go there....99% of the time its to play shows or practice and to streamline this would improve my UI experience. (Also Default the Layouts...one less click. I use the same layout 99.999% of the time)

See the App Shortcuts tutorial to learn how to view set lists in one click, using your default layout, from the main menu: http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/app_shortcuts.html

I have been thinking about you lately...You saved me so much work because of the way you designed the software....I can't thank you enough.

You're welcome!

RuBanjoGuy

If you're going to be a musician, repertoire is a term you need to understand. Don't dumb down. I agree with the poster who explained that repertoire is everything the artist knows how to play.