Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Notes - having both shared and personal notes

Started by lobo12, August 30, 2020, 09:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lobo12

Hi Arlo,

Love BandHelper, thanks for all your hard work! I understand from your BandHelper documentation it's either/or - a song can show shared or personal Notes, but not both. I'd like to ask if you have a suggested workaround. Situation is I want to post notes for everyone in my band to see. Could be notes for endings or for who's taking solos. For example, I'd write: "End on the blues-scale walk-down." Or, "Sax solo." Sure, I can type the notes in the Notes field for everyone to see. But not surprisingly, band members want a text field available for each song for their own personal notes. Unfortunately, if they enable and use personal notes, they won't see my shared notes.

In the past I think you suggested each band member could edit the layout on each of their devices to add a personal text field. Frankly, I fear the implementation might go really bad. Or, I can probably learn to edit the main layout to add another publicly viewable text field to show what would normally be in the shared Notes field, leaving the Notes field available for band members' personal notes. Maybe that's the best way to go, if there's a good way to do it that makes sense visually.

Do you have any suggestions on how both shared and personal notes can best show up on a song's page? Thanks.

arlo

Besides the Notes field, which has a Shared and Personal variant, you can also add custom fields and assign a custom field to each user. Custom fields can be single-line or multi-line. One benefit to custom fields over the Personal Notes field is that custom fields can be shared across multiple users -- so you could add a custom field for the rhythm section, for example -- while the Notes field is either for all users (shared) or one user (personal).

If you want to show the custom fields on the screen and don't want everyone to have to customize a layout, then using one custom field for shared notes, and using the Personal Notes field for personal notes, would also work. However, unless everyone has the same screen size, you might have to do some layout customization anyway, since the Notes field is not in all of the default layouts, and layouts are not shared across screen sizes (unless you turn on a layout's Scalable option, which is not ideal).

arlo

In the new app version 2023-08-11 available now, the notes display will include the shared notes followed by your personal notes (with a divider line between them) if you are using the Personal Notes field. Turning on Settings > Account Sync > Personal Sync > Notes and then populating the Personal Notes field should be much easier than adding personal custom fields and then adding those to your layouts.

Awash (drums)

Hi. Is there an option to only show the personal notes?
I've search, but didn't find a switch or something else to make a choice for not showing shared notes or only show personal notes.

arlo

Settings > Advanced > Don't Combine Personal And Shared

Awash (drums)

uurgreth

@Arlo - the browser version doesn't have a "don't combine personal and shared" option, and so the shared notes & personal notes are combined now on the set lists when I share them. Is there a way to only select the personal? (BTW I have the "personal fields" set to me, and notes is selected).

arlo

The website now has this option on the Settings > Advanced page.

uurgreth