Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

BandHelper, BeatBuddy and new iPad Pro ? MIDI out issues?

Started by pingber, September 22, 2020, 09:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pingber

I've switched from an iPad Air2 to an iPad Pro. Never had an issue with the air/midi/BeatBuddy integration. Click on a tune, BeatBuddy responds. No such luck on the iPad Pro. I purchased a usb to usb-c adapter and I notice that it doesn't seem to fully plug in, leaving about 1/8" of the usb male connector showing at the BeatBuddy end... wondering if that might be the issue? Or maybe someone out there knows a trick that I've missed?

Thanks

arlo

Is the problem that you had your layout set to send MIDI on song selection on the old iPad, but not the new iPad?

pingber

Hi Arlo...I need to check that. I assume that when the app is placed on a new device and allowed to sync, that all of the settings are ported over from the web? Or are the settings resident on the iPad?

Phil

arlo

The settings to automatically do things when you select songs are part of your layouts, and layouts are specific to your screen size. So if you move between devices with different screen sizes, you will need to repeat any customization that you did with the layouts.

pingber

Yep! I really feel stupid now! Checked the settings and of course you were right!

Thanks....all good now!

Phil

arlo

gord207

Arlo, I'm about to spring for a new generation iPad.  This issue concerns me if it is not fixed yet (it is an issue - nobody should feel stupid for this).  Preserving "behaviour" from one pad model to another, should not necessarily be an attribute of the layout or display resolution. So, can you enhance to allow user to attribute /behaviors/ to either a layout, or to a more global and persistent setting? For a while I will have 3 different iPad generations and I want them to be predictable in case of swap-out in a live gig.

arlo

Behaviors are tied to layouts because then you can change behaviors just by switching layouts. For example, you might want auto-scrolling to start upon song selection when performing, but not when rehearsing. So you can set up different layouts for each. If layout actions were moved up from the layout level, they would still be at the device level, because you might want to use different devices for different purposes. For example, you might want to send MIDI from one device and use another device to run an external display. So you would still have to do some setup when adding a new device.

Anyway, if you're moving between devices with different screen resolutions, you have a few options:

1) Manually compare your layout settings and enter any settings you want on the new device.

2) Set your layouts to Scalable, and they will appear on all your devices, but might be letterboxed or pillarboxed on different screens.

3) On the new device, make a copy of the layout from the old device. This creates a version of that layout sized for the new screen, and carries over the layout actions and other settings. You can then edit the visual portion to utilize the new screen size.

4) In the next feature release, there will be an option to resize layouts for the current device. This will be kind of a combination of options 2 and 3: it will carry over layout actions and other settings, and will scale the visual portion automatically, and then you can tweak the visual portion further if needed.