Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Will not attach mp3 files on batch import

Started by terry, October 26, 2020, 12:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry

This app has been working well for me but last night I tried importing a batch of mp3 songs. The only thing transferred is the song title and duration but no attached mp3 file. Seems to be doing this for only instrumentals. The app is  still transferring the mp3 when there are also lyrics attached.

Frustrating, what's up??

Thanks
Terry

arlo

Can you describe in more detail what you're doing?

terry

I make playlists on my PC using Media Player. I then sync these to Samsung Music on my tablet. Then I open Set List Maker and import the playlist. This used to work flawlessly. Now it only imports the playlist with the song titles, no mp3 even though the mp3 file name is shown on the edit page.

The only way I can get the mp3 is to manually add each one, which has the same file name.

Are my mp3 files in the wrong folder for Set List to find them?

terry

Now I can't even manually add a mp3 file to "Add Recordings", I get "There was an error coping the file"ABILENE.MP3" to your Documents folder: (500)

Terry

terry

All I can think of is uninstalling and reinstalling.

arlo

Based on the troubleshooting info you sent to a help ticket, I can see that you have Settings > General Settings > Defaults > Recording Directory set to /storage/emulated, which is an unwritable system directory. You can click this and set it to the Music directory or any directory that you create and that should fix it. The Document Directory has the same issue.

terry

I reinstalled the App and reloaded my playlists without changing the Recording Directory, most of the mp3's were added.

I will change the Default Directory though.

I'm starting to think the Media Player on my PC is causing me all the grief. It keeps putting the wrong path to find the mp3's.

Thanks
Terry

terry

I just changed the Default Directory, now I've lost all my mp3's again.

The Recording Directory reads  /storage/emulated/0/Music.

"Music" is the directory on my tablet where my MP3's are stored. Why is the "emulated" part still there?

terry

This is so frustrating.

I'm leaving the Recording Directory alone. I reinstalled the app again, put all my MP3's into every folder I could find in the Recording section. Now they are finally showing up along with the lyrics.

If I had hair I'd be pulling it out.

arlo

Your Music directory is really /storage/emulated/0/Music, but Android hides the first part in some situations.

Set List Maker saves links to recordings relative to the Recording Directory, if that's set. Looking at your troubleshooting info again, I think you had that set to /storage/emulated and linked a bunch of recordings, then you changed that to /storage/emulated/0 at some point and then just now to /storage/emulated/0/Music. In the last two cases, the recordings you liked earlier will not be found because the base directory has changed. Typically you should set your recording directory initially, then only change it if you want to move your recordings to a different location on your device.

At this point, you could change the Recording Directory back to /storage/emulated/0 as it was when you were linking most of your recordings, or you could leave it at /storage/emulated/0/Music and relink the recordings so they will be relative to that directory. Leaving it at /storage/emulated/0/Music would be better in the long run.

terry

One last reply.

I think part of my problem is my "Music" directory on my tablet. There are sub directories for different types to songs so the mp3's are not in "/Music/" 

For example the song All Shook Up is located in /Music/Unknownartist/T&T/ALLSHOOKUP.MP3

arlo

That's fine -- if the recording directory is set to /storage/emulated/0/Music, then Set List Maker will save the link as Unknownartist/T&T/ALLSHOOKUP.MP3. If you ever need to move your recordings to a different parent folder, as long as you keep the structure within that folder intact, Set List Maker will still find the files.