Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Setlist Maker to control Korg Kronos 2 and Hammond SK1-73

Started by JimmyB1976, November 17, 2020, 01:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyB1976

Hey everyone. I'm having a bit of an issue using Setlist Maker to control my Korg Kronos and my Hammond Sk1. I have Setlist Maker connected to my Korg Kronos via USB and Midi out of Kronos to Midi in of Hammond. I can get the app to send program changes to the Korg which in turn sends program changes to the Hammond, by setting one of the channels (16 in this case) to external and inputting the program number.
However, I would like to setup the ipad to send program changes to both keyboards, so I don't have to send program changes from the Korg.
Firstly I set up both keyboards in Setlist Maker, each with their own channel. However, once I add a program change for Hammond, the Korg goes to the first slot in setlist everytime regardless of what the program change should be.
Anybody have any ideas of how this could be rectified?

arlo

The first thing is to make sure both keyboards are configured to only receive messages on one channel. Some devices listen on all channels by default.

JimmyB1976

Ok, I've made a bit of progress. I should point out that I was using SLM flawlessly for the past 6 months with just the Kronos. I recently bought a Hammond. So I figured out that rather than adding a device and then editing the MIDI Preset, I needed to create a new midi preset for both devices. The Kronos now receives correct information but nothing is being passed to the Hammond. I've tried midi out and midi thru.

arlo

You don't need to create separate MIDI presets for the two keyboards. You do need to create a MIDI Device for each keyboard, and then you can enter the program change numbers for both keyboards into the same MIDI Preset.

If you are connecting your two keyboards in a series, you will need to connect the second keyboard to the MIDI Thru port on the first keyboard so Set List Maker's messages will reach it.

JimmyB1976

I didn't create two separate presets, I created a new preset for both keyboards instead of just editing the pre existing preset. It's still not sending message to second keyboard! But if I send a program change from the Kronos to the Hammond on Midi out, it works. It's like the Hammond cannot hear SLM.

arlo

After sending a MIDI preset from Set List Maker, you can click the MIDI icon in the top toolbar and look at the activity log to see what was actually sent. If that matches what you intended to send, then the problem is downstream, with the connections between your devices or in this case with the keyboard sitting in the middle. You could also remove the first keyboard and connect directly to the second keyboard to determine whether the problem is with the messages you're sending, or the way the devices are connected.

JimmyB1976

Hi Arlo, the Hammond doesn't have a slot for the printer cable from iPad, so I wonder does that mean it can't receive data directly from SLM and that it has to be from Kronos!

arlo

Do you mean you don't have a MIDI interface and you're connecting to the first keyboard with a USB cable? Okay, then you can't remove the first keyboard from the equation for testing, but you can still look at the activity log to make sure you're sending the messages you intended to send.

JimmyB1976

Correct, I don't have a MIDI interface. I connect my Ipad via USB to my Kronos and then Kronos to Hammond with 5 pin DIN. When I send a PC from Kronos to Hammond it works fine, but when I use iPAD to send PC only the Kronos listens.

arlo

You can still look at the activity log as described above to confirm your outgoing messages.

JimmyB1976

Hi Arlo, I don't understand what the MIDI information means. Does it look ok?

arlo

I don't know if those are the right numbers that you need to send to the second keyboard, but I can say that the app is sending the messages that you entered into it -- so the app is working correctly.

If you had a MIDI interface to connect to the second keyboard directly, you could more easily confirm those are the right messages. Alternatively, you could see if the second keyboard has some kind of flashing icon or other indicator that it is at least receiving any MIDI.

Assuming the messages are correct and the second keyboard isn't receiving them, then your focus should finding what settings you need on the first keyboard to pass the messages through from the MIDI Thru port. Contacting Kronos or a Kronos user forum should help.

As a last resort, you could get a MIDI interface with two output ports, or a MIDI splitter, so the iPad can communicate with each keyboard directly rather than passing through them in a series. This would have the added advantage of using the second keyboard without the first keyboard if you ever wanted to.

Some MIDI interface recommendations are listed here:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/hardware.html

JimmyB1976

Thanks Arlo, what would I need to connect iPad to Midi Solutions Quadra Thru?

arlo

You would need a MIDI interface like the first item in that list.