Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

OpenSoundControl OSC

Started by Martin, February 17, 2021, 07:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

Hello all,

maybe i'm asking something i should be able to find in the FAQ, but i'm afraid i am over complicating my way of thinking at the moment.
I would like to send some OSC commands over wifi to my XR18 (X-Air) mixer from Bandhelper. Is this possible? Or is there an app to install on the iPad that sends OSC command that are triggered by bandhelper on the same iPad?

arlo

BandHelper can send MIDI, but not OSC. I'm not sure if its capabilities are the same with both, but you can use MIDI with the X-Air instead of OSC.

As for an app that receives MIDI from BandHelper and then sends OSC to the X-Air, that's possible but I don't personally know of one.

Martin

Hi Arlo,

i understand i can use MIDI, but in that case i would need a MIDI cable or BlueTooth receiver i plug into the X-Air, right?
Or is it possible to send MIDI commands over wifi/network to the X-Air? Forgive me if am asking stupid questions, but the only time i worked with MIDI is over 25 year ago, so i'm not that familiar with the used techniques these days.

Best Regards,
Martin

arlo

You can send MIDI through a USB MIDI interface that plugs into your tablet plus a MIDI cable, through a Bluetooth MIDI interface that plugs into the mixer, or through a plain USB cable if the X-Air supports that. Some recommended MIDI interfaces are listed here:

http://www.bandhelper.com/support/hardware.html

Martin

Hi Arlo,

thank you! Seems that MIDI hasn't evolved that much (when reading, a lot of it came back to me and fell in place.)
It's going on my wish list for now since i have te buy a MIDI bluetooth i can plug into my XR18. (i don't feel much for a cabled sollution or something i must plug into my iPad. Expercience tough me, this will physicaly break something down the road)

My problem is: too many projects, too little time....  ;D

First i'm going to finish a box based on an arduino with physical buttons and rotary controls to quickly adjust some things on the XR18 when performing. But after that i'm going to look into the MIDI stuff and Bandhelper. I'm imagining creating Snapshots on the XR18 en selecting the right scene for each song. That would superb luxury  8)

Again, thank you for the great software and quality support!!!

arlo