Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Voting on a song?

Started by JeffsRealm, February 24, 2021, 08:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffsRealm

Hey all I am pretty new to Band Helper but it is pretty easy to figure out so far and I am really enjoying it. Way better than a bunch of google spreadsheets we used before.

I am trying to recreate a functionality we have though in simple spreadsheets. Basically voting on songs on the songs in repertoire.

Basically I am trying to gauge where certain members are at or how the feel about certain songs. Sometimes people get tired of playing a certain song or not. New song suggestions before they get added to practice list etc and keeping a history of songs.

How, were did it the old spreadsheet way was enter in the song details, there was a column for each member of the band they could enter a 1-5 and then I had another column that created the average score and thats was that, a song with a score of 3.4 or higher got added into our regular rotation, lower scores

So here is where I got with this, I created custom numeric fields, assigned permissions to each member. Which this works in testing. However, being they are assigned to other band members, I can not see the information they entered. Also I have no way to really average the score across members.

Is there another way to vote on songs? Is anyone else doing this, if so how do you approach it? Is there a way to se up these custom fields that only certain people can write to them but they are read only to everyone? Even doing that I could manually go in and check them and average them. Looking for suggestions or ideas.

arlo

This is already built-in, so you don't need to use custom fields. On the Repertoire > Songs page, each song has a rating button that users can click to select 1-5 (5 is best). This is also available on the song edit page.

Then when you add songs to a set list or filter songs on a smart list, you can sort or filter by rating and that will use the average of all the ratings that have been entered for each song. For example, you can make a smart list that only shows songs rated 3.5 and above, or you can simply view the ratings when adding songs to a set list to take the ratings into account when manually selecting songs.

JeffsRealm

Oh ok thanks, I didn't know ratings were unique for each individual band member. I thought that was an all or nothing field.

Thanks that simplifies things.

arlo

Yep, no need to do the calculations manually.  :)