Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Wireless MIDI - Multiple Devices

Started by tmullin1017, April 19, 2021, 01:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmullin1017

I have a Line 6 Helix LT and a Roland GR-20.

I want to send patch changes to both devices at the same time from Bandhelper. 

I currently own a XIVE MD-1 that is working to receive patch changes sent to the Helix from BandHelper. 

Issue is that with the MD-1, power is drawn from the MIDI out port on Helix.  The only way the XIVE 'in' works is when also wired to 'out' to obtain power, thus utilizing the Helix out connector, preventing me from patching a 'thru' MIDI cable to the GR-20.

I just ordered HXW Bluetooth MIDI adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085DG66RN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).  I plan to test to see if both can connect to my iPad Mini 5 at the same time, and then if I can connect to both from within BandHelper. 

I already contacted XIVE and they said multiple MD-1's can't connect to a single iPad and both operate.  Thus today I ordered a competitor device for the secondary unit, hoping that might overcome that limitation.  However reading online I found an article that refers to the Bluetooth spec item 'functional profile', saying that two Bluetooth devices having the same functional profile can't connect and operate simultaneously.  https://dataoverhaulers.com/connect-multiple-bluetooth-devices/

Is it possible to use multiple Bluetooth wireless MIDI systems and send to both of them from BandHelper at the same time?  If BandHelper doesn't support multiple Bluetooth MIDI adapters simultaneously that would be a showstopper regardless of whether multiple systems can connect to and be operated from the iPad.
Guitar/keys/vox
Bandhelper, iPad Mini 5 (app loaded), iPhone 12 mini, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Studio One 4, Les Paul Std, James Tyler Variax JTV-89F, Roland Strat, G&L ASAT Telecaster, Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-20, Behringer XR18 & UMC404HD (x2), Alesis VI61, M-Audio Keystation 88, iConnectMIDI4

Zionplayer

Hey - different setup, but maybe beneficial info for you ...

I use my iPad/Bandhelper connected to two Yamaha MDBT-01 Bluetooth devices, plus bluetooth connected to my Macbook Pro. Sending patch changes to my Fractal, Reverb On/Off to my X32Rack, and Light Scene changes to my DMX program on the Mac. All MIDI sent from Bandhelper at the selection of a song.

arlo

I notice the article you linked to didn't say anything about MIDI. It was my understanding that, like Zionplayer is doing, multiple Bluetooth MIDI connections is fine. Since you've already ordered the second Bluetooth adapter anyway, you might as well try it and let us know how it goes.

tmullin1017

Update: both wireless MIDI controllers do connect and operate with both the iPad and BandHelper.  I notice if I leave BandHelper running, but power down the devices attached to the MIDI wireless, powering them back on does not automatically reconnect them in BandHelper.  I power up one device, connect it, power up the other device, connect it, and now the rig is working again.
Guitar/keys/vox
Bandhelper, iPad Mini 5 (app loaded), iPhone 12 mini, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Studio One 4, Les Paul Std, James Tyler Variax JTV-89F, Roland Strat, G&L ASAT Telecaster, Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-20, Behringer XR18 & UMC404HD (x2), Alesis VI61, M-Audio Keystation 88, iConnectMIDI4

arlo

I'm glad to hear the two Bluetooth adapters work together.

The Bluetooth MIDI connection uses a device picker provided by the operating system, and that doesn't support auto-reconnecting to devices, so you will have to connect whenever you power up your devices.