Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Unable to send a scene change to AxeFX3

Started by greiswig, April 22, 2021, 08:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greiswig

Although I can get a program change to send from iPad to my AxeFX, I'm trying also to ask for a specific scene. CC #34 is the default for that in the AxeFX, and I should be able to send 0-7 values to select Scenes 1-8.

I can't get it to work. I've also tried to send values like 66 instead of 3 or 03, but it doesn't work. Does anyone know how I might do this?

Zionplayer

I use CC 35, then 1 through 8 for scenes.  Probably depends on how you have your Device Numbering set up (ie , is it 0-127 or 1-128 under Device).
Mine is 1-128, which is why my Scene change is 35, not 34

greiswig

Quote from: Zionplayer on April 23, 2021, 04:09:49 AM
I use CC 35, then 1 through 8 for scenes.  Probably depends on how you have your Device Numbering set up (ie , is it 0-127 or 1-128 under Device).
Mine is 1-128, which is why my Scene change is 35, not 34

Dang...I thought you might be onto it, but I tried changing to sending on 35, and it still is not working.

So just to be sure..on the AxeFX line for Controller, Value, I've tried 34 (what it is set to in the AxeFX for scene changes) and now 35 for the CC. For the value I've just been targeting scene 3 to test, so I've tried 3, 003 (seems to automatically truncate), and 66. Nothing seems to change the preset from Scene 1 where it lands when loaded.

Zionplayer

Yea, I realized after I posted that my suggestion was prob not helpful as it seems you already have that figured anyway. Only other two thoughts I have before I am stumped:

My FXII defaulted to CC#34 for scene changes, but can't remember if my FX3 defaulted or if I had to set it - worth a triple check I guess (Setup, MIDI, last page Other). I expect you have already checked this, so -

I send Scene changes as a sep Preset from BandHelper (that way I can send any Preset then any Scene combination); so in my list I send Preset, then Scene. Any chance you are trying to send both in the same Preset, and if so maybe check BandHelper config to see which it is sending first? Might be sending CC, then PC which might look like it wasn't working when it really is?

arlo

The BandHelper setting Zionplayer is referring to is Settings > Audio & MIDI > MIDI Options > MIDI Preset Order.

greiswig

Quote from: arlo on April 24, 2021, 03:20:37 PM
The BandHelper setting Zionplayer is referring to is Settings > Audio & MIDI > MIDI Options > MIDI Preset Order.

Yes, that has been double-checked.

greiswig

I'm still trying to figure out why this does not work with Bandhelper, but does work with my RJM MIDI pedalboard. I'm attaching screen shots of each.

RJM.jpg shows a button that definitely does work: press it once, and it goes to Scene 3. Press it again, and it goes to Scene 5.

greiswig

Here are the settings in the AxeFX

greiswig

Lastly, here are the settings in BandHelper that I'd expect to work.

arlo

I don't know how the Axe FX works, but does it need some time to process the program change before receiving the scene change? If so, you can add a delay between them with Settings > Audio & MIDI > MIDI Options > MIDI Preset Order ... with Delay Between.

greiswig

Quote from: arlo on April 25, 2021, 09:12:17 PM
I don't know how the Axe FX works, but does it need some time to process the program change before receiving the scene change? If so, you can add a delay between them with Settings > Audio & MIDI > MIDI Options > MIDI Preset Order ... with Delay Between.

I forgot to mention that my Google search for help lead me in that direction. I upped the delay time between commands to the Max in Bamdhelper: 2 seconds. And you can see via LEDs that there are indeed two different pulses at the MIDI device.

Zionplayer

Hey - can you remove the PC from your preset, just see if the CC will change scene numbers?  Your setup is very much like mine, so I don't know why it isn't working, and this is one difference.  As I mentioned, I have PC changes in one Preset file, then if I want to change scene I will also attach my CC file for that Scene.

Just thinking to check a CC preset only, see if Axe changes with just that.

greiswig

OK, two new things that may be related. For one, the old preset (that changed both the Program and the Scene) no longer was showing two pulses two seconds apart. Only one.

Second, I applied your request to remove the PC change in one MIDI setting, and the MIDI receiver (PUC+) is no longer showing any MIDI traffic with these settings (see attached screen shot).

arlo

Does Settings > Audio & MIDI > MIDI Options > MIDI Preset Order include both Program Change and Control Change?

When you send the preset containing only the control change, do you see the outgoing data listed in the MIDI activity log, which you can see by clicking the MIDI icon in the top toolbar?

greiswig

I can't even see an option to remove things, but the order listed is Program Changes, Control Changes, then everything else.

I'm going to have to put this on hold for a few days. I'm traveling until Saturday.