Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Removing unused layouts (per device)

Started by Ahiru, July 06, 2023, 07:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahiru

Our iPads list on the order of 60 different layouts, including a couple of dozen for 'This Device'.  In most cases each device only uses 2 or 3, so it can be distracting to look through all the superfluous listings.

1. I understand I can Delete a layout on a device, but how does that affect the deleted layout if is in use on a different device?  (I.e. can I use this to eliminate a layout's appearance on a specific device without inadvertently eliminating on a device that uses it?)

2. Conversely, if I want to delete a layout entirely from all devices / databases, how is that best done?

3. Is there a way to clean up this large list of layouts on a given device short of individual layout deletions?

4. If I delete a 'standard layout', is there a way I can reload it later if I want to use it?

arlo

1. Layouts are synced across devices. Deleting a layout removes it from all devices. I recommend thinking of this in terms of users rather than in terms of devices. If a layout is assigned only to you, then you can delete it without affecting anyone else. If a layout is assigned to you and other users and you don't want to use it but other users do, you can remove yourself from its Users field.

2. Deleting a layout removes it from all users and all devices.

3. From the Repertoire > Layouts list of the website, you can do a few things: search and batch-delete layouts that are only assigned to users who are no longer active in the band; search and batch delete layouts that are sized for devices that are no longer active in the band (i.e., if you get rid of an old iPad with a 1024x768 screen, you can search for that screen size to remove layouts that were created for it); click the Find Duplicates button to identify layouts that have the same name and size and merge them.

4. Yes, by clicking Help > Utilities > Load Standard Layouts.

Keep in mind that when viewing a set list, you will only see layouts that are active, assigned to you, match your screen orientation and either match your screen size or have the Scalable option turned on. You will only see layouts for other users and screen sizes when going to the Repertoire > Layouts list.

Ahiru

Thanks Arlo, that's very helpful and will allow me to clean them all up so I just see a few per device.

Quote from: arlo on July 06, 2023, 09:34:58 AM
Keep in mind that when viewing a set list, you will only see layouts that are active, assigned to you, match your screen orientation and either match your screen size or have the Scalable option turned on. You will only see layouts for other users and screen sizes when going to the Repertoire > Layouts list.
Good point!  Still we see about 10 each from a setlist, but need only 2 or 3 each.  I'll follow the guidance above regarding user assignments.

FOLLOW-UP: I've now reduced my jumble of 70 layouts accumulated over the years to just two per device.   :)

arlo

Sounds good. The app creates several standard layouts for each user to give some ideas about what layouts can do, but if you end up only using one or two of those, it is fine to delete the others.