Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Don’t understand the Apps button or have different needs

Started by Splepp, May 24, 2021, 07:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splepp

Hi Arlo
After long time where I tried to make music without Midi and electronically helpers I returned back to setlist maker on IPad. I found, that it growed substantially.
But there is still one feature, what I miss a lot. Simple controll buttons for the Apps I use most parallel with SLM.
I saw the App Button, but I don't know, how it works because I  don't own one of the listed Apps

I play a lot with backing tracks.
But because I do a lot of improvising, I use apps, and I programmed forms, that wait for a sign of me to finish  playing the part and change to the next one (or the one I chosed in the moment, to be next.)

So I use Ableton on a Mac and sometimes - for smaller gigs - I use TRAX on the IPad.
And I use TouchOSC on IPad to control my effects.
So: non of these apps co-works with SetListManager. That's a pity.

It would be great to have at least a button like: Start/Stop/Pause/Next playing Ableton track, or Trax track, or switch the Displayed Apps by button...
so I need always TWO IPads Live, and honestly...that doesn't looks good :-)

Is there any other app for this purpose to do that, that already co-works with SLM?
Best Steve

arlo

I think you're talking about two separate things:

1) Quickly switching to another app to use its interface. You can use the App Buttons for that. You will need to ask the maker of the other app if it supports quick-switching with a URL scheme, and ask them what their scheme is (this will be one word, like "setlistmaker"). Then enter the app name and scheme into the Settings > Other Apps list.

2) Sending MIDI messages to another app to trigger functions without leaving Set List Maker's interface. You will need to consult the user manual for the other app to find out what messages you can use to trigger what functions, then enter those messages into MIDI Presets in Set List Maker. Then attach those MIDI presets to songs or layouts to trigger them during a performance. More info here: http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/tutorials/sending_MIDI.html

Splepp

Thank you, You're right. But Ableton also works  with other than Midi commands, like keyboard messages....
And is it possible to send midi messages inside the IPad?
Best Steve

arlo

Ableton also works  with other than Midi commands, like keyboard messages....

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but I think only the foreground app can receive keyboard messages.

Is it possible to send midi messages inside the IPad?

Yes, this is called Virtual MIDI and Set List Maker does it by default.