Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

SoundSwitch Integration

Started by StrasburgVA, May 23, 2021, 05:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrasburgVA

Hi all,

[Short version: Is it possible to use SoundSwitch with Bandhelper? I'm trying to sync DMX lighting to backing track videos.]

I've been submerged in the rat hole that is scripted DMX lighting for a while now and I'm trying to figure out a way to do it synced with 4K video.

I play guitar and sing to backing tracks I make in Logic and I have bad ADHD and really need lyrics and chords in front of me.

I've read the threads here about DMXIS and Luminaire. I wanted to ask for some advice before I sink even more money into yet another solution that won't work for my needs.

I started with a Martin 3032 controller a long time ago but never really figured it out. Recently I got a Pioneer RB-DMX1 and that works but I generally dislike Pioneer now.

I got SoundSwitch and my plan was to make videos with Final Cut that would show the lyrics and chords and have the backing tracks as the audio and make those in Logic Pro.  Then I would play the videos in Virtual DJ--which I've used for years--and have SoundSwitch do the lights.

Now that works but I can't seem to get Virtual DJ to handle 4K video, which I really want. I wear glasses and with stage lights shining in your face I really want to be able to see the screen.

So rather than have to dumb down the videos to 480/720 or 1080 I'm wondering if anyone has gotten SoundSwitch to play with Bandhelper.

At this point I'm seriously considering getting a simple foot controller with some static scenes on me and the stage and just aiming some WashFX 2 lights on the dancers in auto mode with a master slave setup. Desperate times call for desperate measures. One advantage of this is you can easily handle sudden unscripted moments like requests or acoustic songs with no click track.

I use either an iPad Pro or a 2019 16" fully loaded MacBook Pro. I'm most likely going to get an M1 MacBook just for this but am waiting to see what Apple announces in June.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

arlo

Are you asking if you can trigger functions in SoundSwitch with MIDI messages sent from BandHelper? That mainly depends on what MIDI support SoundSwitch has. Please see "How can I send midi to another app or device to perform some action" in the FAQ:

https://www.bandhelper.com/support/FAQ.html

StrasburgVA

I guess I'm looking for guidance on the best way to have lighting. I don't know if SoundSwitch is the best option for me but it is one I have used. It definitely has a learning curve though and I'm spending a lot of time and money learning various methods that end up not working.

I can try to see if SoundSwitch will take midi commands from Bandhelper on the same computer:  https://support.soundswitch.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000816831-MIDI-Control-in-SoundSwitch

Or maybe I can just get a midi foot pedal and get some static scenes going. I see there are a few out there that look promising.

arlo

BandHelper will send MIDI to other apps running on the same computer.

Maybe someone else can share their general experience here, but I think you'll have a better chance of success if you can distill your inquiry down to some specific questions, and/or ask the makers of those products or find a user forum where those products are frequently discussed.