Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Setlistmaker midi control

Started by coachz, October 20, 2021, 04:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachz

This one is for my piano player friend. He has two keyboards and uses different patches at the same time. Like patch 1 on keyboard one and patch 26 on keyboard two.

Then he wants to change this PAIR to patch 7 on keyboard one and patch 26 on keyboard two.

It would be nice if there was an Android app that he could run in his tablet where he could have all of these patch PAIRS displayed for a song.  Maybe a song would use three or four of these pairs per song.

Then he could have a tablet on stage with him that shows all of the songs and then he could drag them into the order of tonight's setlist. And then step through them with a foot switch.

Do any of you fine people know that this is possible with set list maker and if so how would it work and could a tie to a foot switch?

arlo

Yes, that's a pretty common way to use Set List Maker. Here's the tutorial on sending MIDI:

http://www.setlistmaker.com/tutorials/sending_MIDI.html

And here's the tutorial for changing songs and triggering the MIDI sends from a foot switch:

http://www.setlistmaker.com/tutorials/remote_control.html

Note that you can create MIDI presets that send program changes to both keyboards; or if you do a lot of mixing and matching, you can create MIDI presets that send one program change to one keyboard, then create parent MIDI presets and attach two program change presets to them in various combinations. But if all you're sending is simple program changes, the second option is probably more complicated than you'd need.

coachz

Thank you for the reply.  Here is a bit more info on our setup atm.  Keyboard 1(K1)  midi channel 1, Keyboard 2(K2) midi channel 2
P for patch

So on song1 it starts with  K1 P22, K2 P88
halfway through song1 we need to hit the footswitch to go to the next pair,  K1 P66, K2 P3
in the outro we hit another pair   K1 P34, K2 P99

These songs to start won't have any lyric or chord info.    Is the Clean Boost preset on your midi tutorial an example of a parent MIDI preset as described here ?   (To send program changes, control changes or other MIDI data)  http://www.setlistmaker.com/tutorials/sending_MIDI.html
This shows Guitar Processor and Lighting System midi preset data.

Is there a demo I can test with ?  I have a midi interface and a USB mini-b adapter cable to connect it to the tablet with.  If I can get it working with the tablet, then we can get the footswitch and buy the app.

Any idea if this will work ?   https://www.amazon.com/Music-Page-Tuner-Book-Flipper/dp/B085QHX6DX#customerReviews

Thanks again !

arlo

Is the Clean Boost preset on your midi tutorial an example of a parent MIDI preset as described here?

No, that shows a single MIDI preset that can send program changes to two devices.

Is there a demo I can test with?

There's no demo data available; you would have to enter some MIDI presets yourself to test with.

Any idea if this will work?

I don't see in the product description that it says what messages it sends. This page has a list of foot switches that are confirmed to work:

http://www.setlistmaker.com/support/hardware.html

coachz

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was asking if there is a demo version of Set List Maker that I could try so I could add some presets and see if it is going to suit our needs. That single preset that sends program changes to two devices is exactly what we need.

arlo

There is no trial version of Set List Maker. Its big brother is BandHelper and that has a 30-day free trial:

https://www.bandhelper.com/main/SLM_comparison.html

coachz

Cool. I'll see if I can load that up and give that a shot with the MIDI. Thank you again for having some of the best support on the entire internet

arlo

coachz

It works great !

Using the Bandhelper app on my android tablet, I got my midi device working and am able to create songs, add presets to the songs and add the songs to a setlist.

Each preset sends two program changes, 1 on midi device channel 1 and another on my midi device channel 2.  I created 2 midi devices for my single mio midi interface to allow sending on different channels.

When I open up the setlist and the first song, I am able to press the midi icons and send the midi for my preset into my Reaper DAW and I can see the program change pairs coming through.

For testing I set up keys 60 and 59 in Bandhelper remote control to "next preset or song"/"previous preset or song" and using my Reaper virtual keyboard to move forward and backwards through presets. 

This works perfectly.   I'll be showing my piano player this afternoon and I think he's going to really want this.  I assume he can do the same thing in Set List Maker, yes ??

Thanks for the help Arlo !

arlo

Cool. Yes, all those functions are the same in Set List Maker.

coachz

Is there the way to send a preset automatically when each song is loaded?

arlo

Yes, you can click the Layouts button in the bottom toolbar, select Edit Details, scroll down to Actions and set Send MIDI to Song Selection.

coachz

coachz

Quote from: arlo on October 23, 2021, 04:50:04 PM
Yes, you can click the Layouts button in the bottom toolbar, select Edit Details, scroll down to Actions and set Send MIDI to Song Selection.

Using this sends ALL presets assigned to the song unfortunately.  When we setup for a gig we need the following workflow.

1. Load the first song and have the first preset loaded

2. When remote control event that fires "next preset or song", Bandhelper should increment to the next preset in the song until there are no more and then Bandhelper should load the next song and it's 1st preset.  Each subsequent remote event for "next preset or song" should go to the next preset... or song if there are no more presets (maybe the song only had 1 preset that loaded on song load).

3. When remote control event that fires "previous preset or song" Bandhelper should decrement to the previous preset in the song until there are no more and then Bandhelper should load the previous song and it's 1st preset.  Each subsequent remote event for "previous preset or song" should go to the previous preset... or song if there are no more presets (maybe the song only had 1 preset that loaded on song load).

Thanks Arlo.  Makes sense yes ? :-)

arlo

Using this sends ALL presets assigned to the song unfortunately.

If you don't want that, you can turn off Settings > Audio & MIDI > MIDI Options > Send MIDI Presets Together.