Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Set List Maker as MIDI Patchbay?

Started by lowaz, May 31, 2022, 09:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowaz

Hello Set List Maker Community,

I have a question of understanding:
SLM should be able to execute the MIDI switch commands to the MIDI devices when a song is selected.

In my case the MIDI devices are 1 KORG Wavestation (Master), 1 KORG KROME and 1 HX3 Organ Module, all via MIDI-Merger 1 to 4.

QUEST:
If I play this song on the master AFTER the switching commands, will the playing itself also be controlled and played on the KROME and the Organ Module as well?

...I know, probably this is a stupid question....

arlo

Are you asking if a note played on one keyboard will cause the same note to be played on the other keyboard and organ module?

lowaz

Exactly. That's my Qestion.

I attach a JPEG with the picture of my actual setup, which indeed is working excellent, vs. the planned one.

Thank you a lot
lothar

arlo

Sending program change messages to your devices shouldn't affect how they behave in other ways. If you have your devices set up so that one keyboard sends MIDI notes to the others, or if you have your devices set up so that one keyboard does not send MIDI notes to the others, that will not change.

lowaz

Thank you very much for your help so far.
My question was probably too undifferentiated, too general.
Now that I posted my two setups - the existing one and my idea of the future one - I will try to differentiate it further:

The MidiPatchbay PMM88-E does its job on two different levels:

Level 1:
Performing program changes on Wavestation, on Krome and on Organ modules.

Level 2:
With the "Routing" function, which additionallly is establishing permanent midi connections:

- WAVESTATION OUT ==> KROME IN (via midi channel 2)
- WAVESTATION OUT ==> Organ Module IN (via Midi channel 5)
- KROME OUT ==> Organ Module IN (via Midi channel 3)

Only this function level guarantees me, that when I'm playing on the Wavestation keyboard all correspondig programs and split ranges on the KROME and/or Organ Module deliver their additional sound.

General question:
Is the Set List Maker able manage this also?

arlo

What do you mean by "manage this"? Are you asking if Set List Maker can replace a hardware MIDI router?

lowaz

According my planning diagram above my Samsung Tablet with the Set List Maker will be connected to the new Hardware Patchbay "ESI M4U eX (8 x 8)".

My question is, whether with this (planned) setup the "Routing" function, which additionallly is establishing permanent midi connections, can be realized:

- WAVESTATION OUT ==> KROME IN (via midi channel 2)
- WAVESTATION OUT ==> Organ Module IN (via Midi channel 5)
- KROME OUT ==> Organ Module IN (via Midi channel 3)

arlo

I don't know how your patch bay device works. Do you have a question about Set List Maker? Looking at your diagram, it seems you're asking how to connect Set List Maker to your patch bay device -- is that the problem?