Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Restoring a Backup to a new Project

Started by SLM-user, November 13, 2021, 08:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLM-user

I have created a new Project and I am trying to restore a backup that I saved from another project.
The process was done online and now I am unable to use the Android App... the App opens and on selecting any project, the app shut down after 1 or 2 seconds.  I can briefly see the synching top half circle flashing on the Top-Right of the App just before it shut down.

Does this happen because it's Synching?  If yes, How long will it take to complete?

Also, when logged in online I notice the speaker icon on the setlist but when clicking on any of them, nothing happens, no sound.  Do I need to somehow re-upload the audio to this new project, or does the backup take care of it?

SLM-user

Just to clarify, I am using BandHelper.

I have realized that I had to Export the audio from the other project before Importing it on the new project.  Done so and login in online I can access the new project and the audio is now working.

The Android App still refuses to stay open for more than a couple of seconds... it's the same on another Android device.

It seems it's taking a long time to Synch.  Is all of this normal?

arlo

First, are these two projects in the same account? If so, it would be easier to assign items to both projects rather than exporting the whole project and recordings and importing them again. In the first case, you will have one copy of every item shared by both projects and in the second case you would have two copies of every item saved independently in each project.

Regarding the Android device crashing, how old is it? It might not have enough working memory to handle the initial sync. If you submit a help ticket, I can help you with that.

SLM-user

Hi Arlo,
Basically, I deleted lots of songs off one project but then the band wanted them back.  before deleting I had made a backup.  As we added and also changed some songs since the backup, I wasn't sure I could revert to the old one.

I thought it would be easier to start a new project restore my saved backup and running the two projects, until i moved the latest new additions to the new project and then deleting the old project.   I know... I am in a bit of a pickle.

The phone and the tablet are both 1 year old.

I can't get in the app to send a ticket.

Tried to quickly disable the auto synch but the app shuts down too quick.

SLM-user

Arlo, I have deleted the new project by using the online account but on the App still show that project. the app still crashes and I don't know how I can submit a ticket.  Please let me know what to do.

SLM-user

Arlo,
I have now opened a ticket up.

For anyone that have the App crashing because of synch problem.  I have managed to stop this by first enabling the Android device Flight Mode, then disabling the Auto Synch in the app, then disabling Flight Mode. 
This way, I was able to open up a ticket.

arlo

I got your help ticket. In the future, you don't need the app to submit one -- just go here: https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia

How long ago did you delete the songs? If it was less than 90 days ago, you can undo the deletions from the Account > History page.

SLM-user

It was less than 60 days.
Where do I do that from? The online account?

If I would try it from the app, as soon as the auto synch is on, the app shuts down.

arlo

Yes, the account pages are only available in the website.

The app has a Rollback button on the Settings > Account Sync page, but the Account > History page on the website is easier to use.

SLM-user

Arlo,
I find the history data difficult to understand...
do I need to select EACH entry that has been deleted?  Or do I need to select a date so that any items proceeding that date gets rolled back?

If I need to select each item... there are Thousands of entries!

I re-read the the import procedure of a saved backup and according to that it should have worked.

even if I go through rolling back with the history method, it will not solve the main problem of not been able to delete the new project from the App!  As I already explained, That project has already been deleted on the website, but it still show on the app.

What is the safe way to restore the app as of yesterday the 12 Nov 2021?
If I clear all data on the app, will it then allow my to recreate the old project and simply restore the backup?

Please advice me what to do.  I am now getting worried about loosing everything.

SLM-user

Arlo.
I have checked my internet speed and I am currently getting 62 Mbps but i notice that for those few seconds the App is working, the download speed 2.4 KB/s.  Could it be possible that the problem is to do with the server? Other band members report the same crash on their devices.

arlo

Since you already deleted the project, you can probably fix the app issue by launching in airplane mode and clicking Settings > Account Sync > Reset Local Data, then turning off airplane mode and letting the app sync. That will do a fresh download from the server, not including your newly added and deleted project. Alternatively, you can delete and reinstall the app, but then you will have to reenter your login info and some other settings.

If the app still crashes, please update your help ticket with that info.

I don't think the download speed could make the app crash.

To undo deletions from the website, you need to select each of the items you deleted. You can use the filters on the left side to show only deletions, and look at the dates in the list to find the batch of songs you're trying to restore. You do not need to undo the updates to restore a deleted item. However, if you had documents or recordings attached to your songs, you would need to undo the deletions of the songs, the documents and the recordings.

SLM-user

Arlo,
That did the job! 

Thank you so much for the help. 
I had to reset on both devices, so the rest of the band members will have to do the same.

Tomorrow I will restore from the history, on the website.

Thanks again!

arlo

Okay, good. Your bandmates would only need to do the reset if they have a problem syncing with the newly added and deleted project.