Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

SoundFont required?

Started by soundog, March 07, 2022, 09:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soundog

I am getting to dabble in sending a Standard MIDI file .mid to a drum sound module and a synth bass. The SLM manual says to first load a SoundFont file. My understanding is that a SoundFont file can contain sampled sounds. So .... do I need a SoundFont file if I am only wanting to send MIDI note info to external sound modules? Will Set List Maker work OK without a SoundFont file?

arlo

No, you only need a SoundFont file to render the sound directly on your tablet or phone.

To render the sound on your tablet or phone, you would attach the MIDI file to a song.

To send the MIDI data to another device to render the sound there, you would attach the MIDI file to a MIDI preset.

More info is in "TO PLAY MUSIC FROM A STANDARD MIDI FILE" and "TO SEND DATA FROM A STANDARD MIDI FILE" on this page:

https://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/sending_MIDI.html

soundog

Thank you. Very helpful link, also!

soundog

"To render the sound on your tablet or phone, you would attach the MIDI file to a song.
To send the MIDI data to another device to render the sound there, you would attach the MIDI file to a MIDI preset."

I have each of these cases working individually. But what if I want to render the bass on my tablet (via soundfont) and send the midi drum notes to an external module? I tried attaching the same midi file to both the song and to a midi preset, but it seems to then only send to the soundfont bass.

arlo

I think you would need to split that file into two files, one containing the bass part and one containing the drum part. Does that make sense?

soundog

Yes, that fixed it. However, how can I create a single "button" that appears on a layout that would initiate both bass and drum midi files so they play in sync?

Thanks again. Almost there...

arlo

You could set the Start Recording and Send MIDI layout actions to the same trigger (Song Selection, Song Second Selection, etc).

soundog

All working nicely, thanks ...  :)