Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Built-in chords database

Started by arlo, April 12, 2022, 03:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you use a chords import function?

Yes, this sounds useful!
12 (52.2%)
No, because I prefer my chords aligned with my lyrics.
6 (26.1%)
No, because I prefer to get chords elsewhere or write them out myself.
2 (8.7%)
No, because I don't need to add chords to my account.
3 (13%)
No, for another reason.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

arlo

The built-in lyrics database idea is on hold, but a chords database is still an option since it wouldn't require me to pay licensing fees to a copyright agency (chord progressions are not copyrightable). I'm picturing a button above the Chords field on the song edit page that would search for the song's title and artist, and import the chord progression if it's been added to our database. This would not be intermingled with the lyrics -- it would appear above the lyrics as in the attached screen shot.

If you like this format, this would make it easier to find high-quality lyrics, because you wouldn't have to limit your search to a chords+lyrics website like Ultimate Guitar where the quality of the lyrics is secondary. And of course this would be nice for any band member who isn't singing and just needs to see the chord progression.

Would you use a function like that?

davelson

Hi Arlo, this looks to be the best compromise....
I can see the benefit of having an inbuilt search engine when I am working out a new song, but I would still need to subsequently edit and import the chords into the lyrics, as I am a singer/guitarist and need the chords within the lyrics field to avoid having to jump from one section of the screen to another....
What would benefit me greatly in BH would be a better way of editing lyrics/chords of a song than in the small 'Lyrics' section of the song edit screen... ie a full screen editor... (I only use an iPad)
Regards, Dave

mhadjoglou

I personally do not like to read charts in this format, as even if I'm not singing, I tend to like to have the chords above the lyrics. It helps me out a lot when I'm playing a song off the cuff that I do not know at all.

I do understand though that based on the fact that we aren't planning on importing lyrics at this time that it may be the only way to integrate chord progressions in a logical way. Did you have another option you could show us?

Could we perhaps integrate a song section for each chord progression? Maybe label them 'chorus 1, verse 1, etc' to make quick reference a little easier?

arlo

Quote from: mhadjoglou on April 13, 2022, 12:45:46 PM
I personally do not like to read charts in this format, as even if I'm not singing, I tend to like to have the chords above the lyrics. It helps me out a lot when I'm playing a song off the cuff that I do not know at all.

With this format you can count the beats to change chords, which is more reliable than listening for certain words. That works in parts of the song that have no singing, or if the singer varies the phrasing.

I do understand though that based on the fact that we aren't planning on importing lyrics at this time that it may be the only way to integrate chord progressions in a logical way. Did you have another option you could show us?

This could potentially use different symbols than what's shown here, but I think pipe symbols make sense for bar lines. The dashes for repeated beats could be removed, leaving just space -- that's a more traditional style as shown here. The benefit of a placeholder like the dashes is that it makes the harmonic rhythm clear when the measures aren't evenly divided, as in "Louie Louie":

G - - C | D - - C | G - - C | D - - C

Some charts use slashes to show repeated chords, but since those are also commonly used to show alternate bass notes, I would reserve them for that purpose.

Could we perhaps integrate a song section for each chord progression? Maybe label them 'chorus 1, verse 1, etc' to make quick reference a little easier?

Yes, if a song has different chord progressions for different sections, this could include section labels. In the screen shot I included, the chord progression is relatively long but is the only progression used throughout the song.

arlo

I just started a chords database as a standalone website, as a way of promoting BandHelper:

http://www.justchords.com

This will be populated by volunteers, and when it has a substantial number of songs entered, I'll connect it to an automated import button within BandHelper.

If you'd like to help populate this, please email me at arlo at bandhelper dot com. We're currently working from a prioritized list based on the most commonly used songs in BandHelper.

arlo

The song edit page in the app and website now has an Import Chords button below the Chords and Personal Chords fields. You can use this to search for the song's title and artist in the JustChords.com database. If BandHelper finds a match, it will automatically insert the chords, where you can transpose or customize them if needed.

The database still only has chords for about about 200 songs, but hopefully this will grow and become more useful over time.

Meteoroz

When I hit the new "Import Chords" button I just get a javascript error.

arlo

Quote from: Meteoroz on January 06, 2023, 04:59:49 PM
When I hit the new "Import Chords" button I just get a javascript error.

Please submit a help ticket: https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia

JerryK

Quote from: arlo on April 12, 2022, 03:21:46 PM
... because you wouldn't have to limit your search to a chords+lyrics website like Ultimate Guitar where the quality of the lyrics is secondary.

Actually, the quality of UG chords is often not great, including the "official" version.  I also greatly wish that contributors would place them carefully among the lyrics, so they would more readily convert to ChordPro (//ukegeeks.com/tools/).
"Official" is surely not from the original artist, is it?

arlo

"Official" is surely not from the original artist, is it?

I don't think so. I think that just means it was vetted by UG staff or a higher-ranked contributor.