Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Newbie here, can someone out there teach me how to control my D4 via midi in

Started by WalkinTall, March 30, 2022, 12:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkinTall

Newbie here, can someone out there teach me how to control my D4 via midi in band helper from my iPad?
I'm a drummer I have my acoustic drums hooked up to my D4, I just started using Band Helper have all my songs installed and everything is good until now I want to change some of the voices of my drums to match the style of the song, so I would like to be able to select a song and have the correct voice stored so it plays like I need it.

sonicjunki

There are a few things you need to do, I use this for my guitar rig. I will explain setting this up via BandHelper web interface. Log in and go to your Repertoire, there you will find your Songs, MIDI Presets, MIDI Devices and Layouts you will need these 4 things. This can not test the setup from the web interface. The setup needs to be done and afterwards sync your phone or tablet to test on those. Also you didn't mention how you planned to connect to the D4. I like bluetooth and it works great for this purpose. I use a YAMAHA MD-BT01 $50 midi bluetooth adapter connected to my hardware and connect my iPhone to that via Bluetooth.
1. Add A midi device for the D4 and select its midi channel in the MIDI Devices section. See photo 1.
2. Each song needs a separate midi preset file created in MIDI Presets. Under Midi Presets Add a New Preset. See photos 2-3.
3. Each song needs that midi file added to it in the Songs view. See Photo 4.
4. Depending how you want BandHelper to send the midi program change to the D4 you can add a midi button or have it automatically send the PC when you select a song on the list. I like the second option just click song on the list and it changes my rig to that song. Also the More Buttons Layout will have the midi button showing.
5.This next step needs to be done on the iPad. You also need to know the layout name your using. Go to your Repertoire and Select Layouts, Choose the layout you want to use, Select Edit Details, Under the Actions section choose Send MIDI and set it to Song Selection, don't forget to tap Select awards the top of the screen afterwards.

I know this is a lot but once its done its done. The only other thing I need to do after opening BandHelper on my phone is select a setlist and at the top of the screen go to the midi button, then select Connect to Bluetooth Device.

sonicjunki

Guess the photos would help.

sonicjunki

I can't recall off hand how I did this wired in the past but I'm pretty sure I use an apple camera adapter for the phone female usb and plugged a wired MIDI MAN MIDI UNO usb to midi adapter. I think BandHelper on the phone or iPad automatically sees available wired midi interfaces to connect to.