Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

AUv3 support

Started by joosties, May 29, 2022, 04:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joosties

Hi Arlo.  I'm working now with AUM on iPad. Seamless integration with the latest audio standard AUv3, that is... except for Bandhelper and a few others.
I can load a BandHelper instance in my AUM track that will work just fine,  but as soon as I sync Bandhelper due to an edit on my bandhelper setlist, the changes made to bandhelper setlist are sometimes not immediately recognized, especially added song files. For showing the new added songfile, or MIDI file, I have to leave the BH project, and load the BH project again. At that time the audio channel is disconnected from AUM and won't be reconnect automatically at loading the BH project. So, although at first sight everything looks operating normal, the BH audio channel at that moment is bypassing the AUM mixer and I have to restart BH, select my project and re-initialise/re-load BH in AUM for AUM to 'pick up' the BH audio channel. You can imagine this is not a convenient way to work.  Together with IK multimedia's Sampletank which is also not a AUv3 app and gives me other kind if incompatibility problems, I'm in serious trouble now with developers not supporting AUv3. I'm already in the process of using my iPad as a major player in my keyboard rig, due to the endless possibilities with AUM and plugins, but at this moment a few elements are holding me back.
I seriously hope you consider switching the app to a AUv3 environment. I know it is probably too much to ask. I probably don't know what I'm talking about. I only know that my situation is becoming a thing of present time, AUM and AUv3 is such a step forward in development for low profile keyboard rigs, that if dev's don't catch up you probably gonna miss the train. I think your work is marveles, would love to keep your program running for ever in my rig.

arlo

Replacing inter-app audio with AUv3 is on my to do list, mainly because IAA isn't supported on macOS and I now have a macOS version of BandHelper. I'll let you know when I'm able to work this in.

joosties

I'm so happy to hear you're working on it.

I found out yesterday about the Mac app. Installed it immediately. Looks great, the iPad design. Gonna start working with it today. By the looks of it the web UI is still more advanced. Like batch processing, which I use intensively....

Keep up the good work 👍

arlo

Quotethe web UI is still more advanced

The web interface is more oriented toward managing your data and your account, while the mobile apps are more oriented toward accessing your data while practicing, performing or doing band business on the go. So there is some overlap, but each has some capabilities that the other doesn't have.

joosties

True, they both have their advantages.

joosties

Hi Arlo, Any word on AUv3 support? did you already made a planning for it?

arlo

No change. I'll let you know when I'm able to work this in.

joosties

Any word? Time schedule?  ;D 8)
I'm like waiting desperate for the implementation. Got serious issues with my live rig, which is at the moment build around the iPad with Bandhelper. But Bandhelper's marriage with AUM is still not a smooth marriage.

arlo

There is no change and no time schedule. It's on my to do list with a lot of other things.

arlo

I came back to this today and have decided to take it off my wish list. My experiments with it have failed, and I'm not seeing a clear indication that AUv3 supports this use case. I asked Apple if they could confirm this, and they didn't directly answer my question but recommended continuing to use Inter-App Audio on iOS. I found a couple developer posts suggesting a potential, hacky approach to making this work, but I didn't find anyone who had actually tried it.

For macOS, inter-app audio doesn't work, but so far no BandHelper users have requested this functionality for macOS. If someone does want to do this on macOS, they can use the third-party Loopback app.

I should have addressed your original issue sooner:

as soon as I sync Bandhelper due to an edit on my bandhelper setlist, the changes made to bandhelper setlist are sometimes not immediately recognized, especially added song files

I think the most you would need to do here is reselect the current song (or select a different song and back again if that's easier in your layout). A change to a song shouldn't require going all the way back to the Accounts list and selecting a project again. If you're still having a problem with that, please start a new forum thread or a help ticket.

joosties

Hi Arlo. Sad to hear that you won't make it a AUv3 app, but to be honest, most of the issues I have with this I did overcome with some protocols. One of the main issues I had was the fact that BH disconnects its audio routing with AUM as soon you leave the selected setlist, but if you tic the download arrow in your preferred setlists you can still swap between setlist within the performer screen on top of the screen without BH loosing its audio stream in AUM. That makes it workable. For instance switch between the actual setlist and the rehearsal list is now no problem anymore.

Sometimes though while rehearsing and intensively switching songs and play the recordings BH can loose its head and a terrible noise comes out of the speakers. I know this now and have my left hand ready at the MIDI controller volume fader. Don't know if that's a problem that would be solved by switching over to AUv3.

Anyway I respect your decision.

regards..

arlo

Yes, using the title shortcut is the recommended way to change between set lists or smart lists while performing.

I'm sorry to hear about the "terrible noise" problem. I assume that only happens in the inter-app audio signal? I've never heard of that happening just playing audio directly. What do you do to stop it when that happens (other than turning the volume down)?

joosties

What do you do to stop it when that happens
I switch songs. That makes it stop.

joosties

Hi Arlo. Have you already changed your mind on this topic of AUv3? or did you wipe it from the agenda? Although bandhelper is working as it is, I experience an increasing amount of crashes and problems working together with AUM on IOS. I have bandhelper setup as my main control centre for MIDI messages and setlist properties, within AUM, and therefore especially during rehearsals I have extensively switching between apps going on with AUM being my main mixer and virtual instrument host. When I switch back to a working Bandhelper app, frequently BH app crashes and needs to startup, subsequently AUM has to initialise BH again, worst case, restart again. This goes on and on and is a not workable situation. Live on stage I almost not dare to switch between apps. Once it works, don't touch it. You can imagine this is not a workable situation. I realy hope you reconsider rebuilding BH to AUv3.
Regards,
Joost.

arlo

Why do you think changing the inter-app audio method would fix the crashes you are experiencing? I recommend submitting a help ticket to troubleshoot that.