Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Using a footswitch to start backing playback

Started by davelson, August 26, 2023, 09:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davelson

G'day all.

I'm just wondering if anyone has found an effective way to start instantaneous playback of backings (Recordings on BH) by using a footswitch?

I would like to use the Recordings feature to play my backings, but as a guitarist it is impossible to tap the screen at the moment I want the track to play whilst I'm also playing guitar. I have experimented with Bluetooth foot pedals (AirTurn) but they all have a slight BT lag, which makes sync'ing the song start difficult. Some songs I play start with solo guitar only, and then I need the backing to start right on the beat when I hit the switch. An example would be "American Pie" which starts off slow, and then the backing track would come in on the first beat of the chorus

In my current set up I have my backings stored on a Boss RC-500 looper (as Memories 1-100), which I select using Bluetooth MIDI Preset commands from BH on Song Select. I can then start the backing playback on the RC500 instantly by hitting one of its switches, and it works fine, but using BH to play backings would cancel the need for this pedal (I don't use it for looping any more) and save space.

I've got an apple USB3 camera connector on order as I think a wired USB or MIDI pedal (any recommendations?) will be the best option

Cheers, Dave

JerryK

Another way might be to use Automation to give you a timing flash to play along with and start the recording at the right time for you, without taking your eye off the ball. 

Low latency Recordings (an option in Audio & Midi) might help you there.

arlo

The PageFlip Firefly can connect through a USB cable for faster response than Bluetooth:

http://amzn.to/2DkOVRU

I'm not sure how the response time of this would compare to a wired MIDI footswitch.

davelson

Quote from: JerryK on August 27, 2023, 04:01:46 PM
Another way might be to use Automation to give you a timing flash to play along with and start the recording at the right time for you, without taking your eye off the ball. 

Low latency Recordings (an option in Audio & Midi) might help you there.

Thanks for the reply, but the issue is not within BH but the Bluetooth delay from when I hit the foot pedal to the start of the recording playback...

Thanks also Arlo, will investigate Firefly too

JerryK

Quote from: davelson on August 28, 2023, 06:43:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, but the issue is not within BH but the Bluetooth delay from when I hit the foot pedal to the start of the recording playback...

Exactly.  You 'use' the Bluetooth before all that happens.  You hit the pedal to start the Automation, which sets off the count (tempo flash) which can be a big, obvious flash around the edges of the screen, which you can see while watching the guitar.  You play your part and the Recording will play when the moment arrives, every time.  You don't need to be involved or aim your foot at anything at the critical moment or worry about delay time. The recording will just play at the right moment.

davelson

Sorry Jerry, automation limits me to a fixed timing.... I don't always play the same number of bars before I need the backing to start, so it won't work that way...  :)

JerryK

Quote from: davelson on August 29, 2023, 07:35:42 PM
Sorry Jerry, automation limits me to a fixed timing.... I don't always play the same number of bars before I need the backing to start, so it won't work that way...  :)

Perfectly right.  I hope you lick it.  Enjoy