Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

FEATURE REQ - Trigger MIDI Preset via MIDI Note

Started by MikeyJ, August 05, 2022, 11:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyJ

So, this is kind of like Star Trek's 3D chess.  :D

Many DAWs make editing Bank/Patch data fairly painful. When you need to enter and export that data for multiple guitar and vocal processors, lights, etc to sync with a backing track it's ugly.

I find it very easy to create MIDI Presets in SLM and working with placing MIDI notes on a piano roll view in a DAW is simple. I'm thinking that it would be awesome if I could create an SMF in my DAW that consisted of MIDI notes for each of my devices (on different channels) and attach it to a recording in SLM so it's synced. If I could then specify, in a MIDI Preset, a Channel/Note combo that it would be triggered by during song playback....checkmate!

This is the 3D chess...triggering MIDI using MIDI. I'd assume this same logic could include CCs as well but it doesn't get an easier than clicking a note onto a grid in the DAW during initial SMF creation.

There may be more to say but it's late and I'm sleepy. LOL

Thx for reading!

arlo

Quoteit would be awesome if I could create an SMF in my DAW that consisted of MIDI notes for each of my devices (on different channels) and attach it to a recording in SLM so it's synced

You can do that, if you're using iOS; see "To sync a Standard MIDI File with a recording" on this page:

http://www.setlistmaker.com/tutorials/sending_MIDI.html

QuoteIf I could then specify, in a MIDI Preset, a Channel/Note combo that it would be triggered by during song playback

This part lost me. What is the goal here?

MikeyJ

I figured this might happen. The sleepiness won out! LOL

The TLDR:
In response to your first quote, I'm actually already using the method of attaching an SMF to a song so it plays back in sync with a recording although I specified MIDI "notes", not Bank/Patch/Program Changes. If all my SMF ever needed to send were notes but then SLM used those notes to trigger a preconfigured MIDI Preset which handled the Bank/Patch/Program Changes it would be the perfect combination.

The Details:
I think the goal is more of a workflow/productivity thing. Some DAWs, mine included, make working with Bank/Patch/Program Changes in a visual way, very difficult. As a matter of fact, some don't really allow it at all and you're relegated to using an event list only. To be honest, it's not much different than how I would edit an automation track in SLM. ;)

I currently use my DAW to create an SMF that handles all preset switching for an AX8, GT-1000, custom pedalboard, VoiceLive as well as lights. They all have their own MIDI tracks and channels and the time it takes to enter the Program Change events in the Event List and adjust them as needed backward or forward to account for Program Change latency and such is crazy and super tedious. And this is for every song!

So it got me thinking...on one hand, in a DAW's piano roll view, dealing with MIDI notes (instead of Bank/Patch/Program Changes) is a piece of cake, right? Click the grid, there it is. Need to slide it forward or back? Drag it and done. Not to mention that, at least in my case, I'm doing this against the audio backing track (on it's own audio track) and am hooked up to the device I'm currently working on via MIDI so I can see and hear the changes in real time.

On the other hand you've made the job of managing MIDI PC changes very easy and compartmentalized with the MIDI Presets functionality. So if I could combine the best of both worlds I could be far more productive. If a MIDI note on a specific channel in an attached SMF could internally trigger MIDI Presets as/when needed throughout playback it would be amazing.

I understand that my workflow is not the next person's but maybe it's useful for more than just me? The thing that could nullify the need for this request would be a timeline-based editor that would allow for placement of Recordings, SMFs, MIDI Presets, Lyric lines, etc. I also understand the potential complexities of that as well and now you're dipping in the DAW area. Steinberg seems to be trying to address this world with their new app but it still requires a Mac or PC.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you'd like clarification on anything else!

As always, thank you for being so responsive whether we are looking for help, making suggestions, etc.! It really does set you apart from other app authors.

Mike

arlo

Okay, so you want to play an SMF file in Set List Maker and you want that file to trigger MIDI presets in Set List Maker, is that right?

I had considered adding that when adding SMF support, but didn't get that far and put it on the back burner. I'm hoping to do a batch of automation track enhancements for one of the next feature releases, and will look at it again then. In that case, you could use an SMF file as an alternative to an automation track to control Set List Maker's functions.

MikeyJ

That's exactly right as long as long as MIDI notes and not just CC# can be the trigger source. Both would make it highly flexible of course. ;)

QuoteIn that case, you could use an SMF file as an alternative to an automation track to control Set List Maker's functions.

That would be awesome! So, this could allow for a different approach to editing lyrics as well? Possibly a scenario where there exists a MIDI track on a specific channel containing MIDI notes placed where a lyric line movement should happen. SLM could trigger a new line movement using those events.  This would basically replace the "double tap to go to the next line" we have to do now. A global offset option would be good since there is a delay in the line movement on screen shared devices. Of course you'd need to manage situations where there was a mismatched number of events on one side or the other but that's why you get paid the big bucks!  ;D

Thanks again!

arlo

In the new app version 2022-12-12 released today, you can use a standard MIDI file instead of an automation track to trigger any app action listed on the Settings > Remote Control page. This includes scrolling to pages or markers, but not lyrics highlighting because that requires a line number value that remote control doesn't support.

To use this new capability, you need to set Settings > Audio & MIDI > Send SMF Data To Port to Set List Maker. This means you cannot send MIDI data from an SMF to other devices while also sending it back into Set List Maker. If the port is set to anything other than Set List Maker, the app will not respond to its own SMF files.

arlo

Quote from: MikeyJSo, this could allow for a different approach to editing lyrics as well? Possibly a scenario where there exists a MIDI track on a specific channel containing MIDI notes placed where a lyric line movement should happen. SLM could trigger a new line movement using those events.  This would basically replace the "double tap to go to the next line" we have to do now.

In today's new app versions, you can use the Lyrics Line Number remote control action to select a line of lyrics based on a MIDI program change or song select message. If you use a program change message, bank numbers will be ignored.

MikeyJ

Arlo!

You are the bomb! This will save me SO much time. While I'm here and not in front of the app, is there a way to see which line a particular lyric is on? THAT would help a ton too.

Mike

arlo

No, the app doesn't show lyrics line numbers. I'm guessing for this setup you will be starting at line 1 and just stepping through a line at a time, skipping blank lines. If you want to progress through the lyrics a section at a time, you can use markers instead.