Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Cannot view set list on Apple Watch

Started by Xansky, August 08, 2022, 04:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xansky

I've followed the instructions to setup my Apple Watch on https://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/apple_watch.html. However, I cannot seem to get the watch to sync with my phone. I have a set list opened on my iPhone but I only get error 704 on the watch. The exact error message is "Please select a set list on your phone (704)." What am I doing wrong?

TIA!

arlo

I just tried this and saw the same issue. I noticed that the BandHelper watch app launched automatically when I selected a set list on the phone, which I think is a new capability that seems to be on by default; I'm not triggering that intentionally. When I closed the BandHelper watch app (returned to the home screen), then opened it manually, it worked correctly. If that's the problem, I'll see if I can either suppress the auto-launch, or make it work with the auto-launch. Suppressing the auto-launch might be best since not many people use the watch app.

If that doesn't help, please restart your phone and try again.

Xansky

I'm not seeing the auto-launch behavior. I rebooted both the phone and the watch but I'm still getting the same error.

Xansky

Wait, if I go into the Set List on the watch, then select a set list on the phone, it works. <shrug>

arlo

QuoteI'm not seeing the auto-launch behavior

Hmm, maybe the auto-launch is only happening when the BandHelper watch app was recently opened manually? It didn't happen for me the first time I tried it today, but it happened every time I tried afterwards, even after force-quitting the watch app.

Quoteif I go into the Set List on the watch, then select a set list on the phone, it works

It's working for me if the watch app is open (or has been recently opened?). The phone sends a message to the watch when you select a set list, but if the watch app is not running at that time, it won't get the message. So if you select a set list on the phone first, then open the watch app, and get the 704 error, going back on the phone and selecting the set list again should take care of that.

I did see the first time I tried it yesterday that the 704 error remained even after reselecting the set list on the phone. I returned to the watch home screen and manually relaunched the watch app, AND restarted my phone and saw no problems after that; unfortunately I didn't test carefully enough to note whether one or both of those interventions was required.

arlo

I tried this again today and the watch app only opened if I had recently opened it manually. For example, if I click the BandHelper icon on my watch, then press the crown button to return to the watch face, then navigate to a set list on the phone, the watch app reopens. That seems like a desirable behavior. However, it also opens after force-quitting the watch app and even after restarting the watch, which seems less desirable, but I don't think I can control that.

I also see that if I navigate to a set list on the phone before opening the watch app for the first time, then click Set List on the watch app, I get the 704 error, because the watch app wasn't running when the set list was selected. For the next app version, I made the watch app ask the phone app if a set list is already selected in that situation. Unfortunately, the watch screen seems to refresh unpredictably after receiving the reply from the phone; so the error message remains visible until I touch the screen or until the screen sleeps and wakes. I might be able to improve that further in the future.

Meanwhile, another solution to the 704 error is to navigate back on the phone and select the set list again. I don't know why the watch screen refreshes immediately in that situation.

Xansky

Thank you for looking into this! It's seems workable.