Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Connection between bandhelper and MP-100 Midi Controller

Started by iDoctor, August 28, 2023, 05:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iDoctor

Hello.
I am trying to connect bandhelper and MP-100 Midi Controller, also called meloaudio midi controller. I have managed to receive messages from the controller when I press the buttons in the event window, but I can't execute specific BH commands... skip next song, start scrolling, etc...

Has anyone got it?
Thank you

arlo

iDoctor

These are the messages that I get to transmit every time I press the pedal buttons

iDoctor

arlo

It's currently sending control change numbers 117-120 (75-78 in hex), which are undefined in the MIDI spec. BandHelper can respond to control change numbers 80-83 (50-53 in hex), which are defined as General Purpose Button 1-4. It looks like you can enter a custom configuration for your foot switch to send these control change messages.

Your activity log also shows some program changes; I don't know if the foot switch is sending both or where that's coming from. BandHelper can receive program changes to select specific songs, but typically you wouldn't do that from a foot switch. So I would look for a way to turn off the program changes if the foot switch is sending those.

iDoctor

OK thanks.
I'll keep looking to see if I can find it. I usually use the irig blueboard but I'm short of buttons to control BH with my foot, which is why I bought this controller.

Thanks again

arlo

The manual (I found the English version) includes instructions for saving a custom configuration that sends the required control change messages.

iDoctor

Hello again
I have been able to send messages and execute the learn midi action with control change and program change messages with the MP-100 device connected to my ipad with Bandhelper.

However, I have tried everything and there is no way to get from the MP-100 to send messages to BH to turn the page, start the song, start the sequence, etc... which is my purpose.
I get that with the iRig BlueBoard but I would prefer the MP-100 because it gives me more options.
With the blueboard I am clear that each button is assigned to a midi note (60, 62, 64, and 65).
How can I find out what midi note each of the MP-100 pedals corresponds to?

Thank you so much

arlo

According to the screen shot you posted earlier, the foot switch is sending control change numbers 117-120 (75-78 in hex), which are undefined in the MIDI spec. BandHelper can respond to control change numbers 80-83 (50-53 in hex), which are defined as General Purpose Button 1-4. The foot switch user manual includes instructions for setting up a custom configuration to send these supported control change messages.

If you want to send MIDI Note messages, the process would be the same. I would recommend using the General Purpose Button messages since those are designed for this purpose, but if you're already sending Note messages from a different foot switch and want to be consistent, you could use Note messages with this foot switch, too.

iDoctor