Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Feature request: optionally filter MIDI clock out of MIDI Status window

Started by jimm, June 20, 2023, 03:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimm

A feature request: provide an option to ignore MIDI clock messages in the MIDI Status window's Activity Log. They come in so fast and furious that any other messages I want to see are gone so quickly I miss them. Especially since I have so many Connected Ports in that window that I have to scroll down to see more than the first two lines of the Activity Log.

(Sorry if this has already been requested. I tried searching for this before I posted, though.)

arlo

Since a couple years ago, repeated log entries should display on the same line. Please check that you have the current app version, and paste an example of the problem here if you do.

jimm

They are displayed on the same line, but I have multiple devices sending MIDI clock messages and they effectively alternate, which means that I rarely see the same device's clock messages on the same line.

I have experimented with trying to turn off the outgoing clock messages on the devices, but on at least one and it screwed up the internal clock :-( I'm not sure if I can have them use their internal clocks without sending the clock messages.

I'd still like the option to filter out either clock or all realtime MIDI messages.

arlo

Hmm, I think multiple devices sending beat clock messages would be worth cleaning up if possible.

Anyway, are there incoming MIDI messages you do want to respond to?

jimm

I was trying to determine when layout MIDI presets are sent and how layout MIDI presets interact with song MIDI presets. I wanted to open a set list (and thus a layout) and then quickly open the MIDI Status window to see exactly what MIDI was being sent out and in what order. I've read the "Sending MIDI from BandHelper" docs and want to confirm my understanding.

My ultimate goal is to have a single "initialization" MIDI preset sent at the beginning of a set which would use raw MIDI to send a sysex message to put my Kronos in the proper mode (Set List mode) if it isn't already. That seems different than the concept of a default preset described in the docs. I don't need to keep sending that same message every song. My current understanding of how layout presets work is that this isn't possible, but I was experimenting with various settings to see exactly what's happening. Before bugging you, but I guess that's too late  :)

arlo

If you're only sending and don't need to receive any MIDI, you can turn on Settings > Advanced > Ignore MIDI Input. That will discard the beat clock messages before they reach the activity log.

If you want to send some initialization MIDI only at the start of the show, you could attach that MIDI to your layout and trigger the Send Layout MIDI function from a layout gesture like three-fingered tap or from a remote control device like a foot switch. Alternatively, you could make a song that contains that preset and has a duration of 0:01 and put it at the start of every set list. Or the simplest option is to go to the Repertoire > MIDI Presets list while you're setting up, and click the MIDI icon for that preset.

jimm

Thank you, Arlo. Turning off MIDI input will help.

As for using a special gesture, I'll try that. I didn't realize I could use the gesture before selecting a song from the song list. After selecting a song would have been too late.

I thought of using a song at the beginning of the set list, but didn't want to make the other band members see it at the beginning of every set list.

Thank you again for your time and your help.

arlo