Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Ending iOS 9-10, Android 4 support

Started by arlo, August 10, 2022, 11:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

My policy is to support old OS versions for as long as I can, but I will soon end support for iOS 9-10 and Android 4 due to updates in the developer tools for those platforms. This means you will no longer be able to install app updates on devices running these OS versions. Eventually, compatibility problems will create new bugs and make the apps unworkable.

On iOS, this affects the iPad 2, 3 and 4, iPad Mini 1 and iPhone 5, which are around 10 years old. On Android, there are too many models to list. You can look at the Help > About page in the app to see what OS version you have now.

If you're still using one of these old devices, this is a good time to plan for an upgrade. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the additional functionality and improved performance available in newer devices.

The Saint

Hi Arlo

I'm looking to replace my aging iPad with a 12.9" iPad.  I can't afford a new one, so used it is..!!

Obviously the newer the better, but I don't want to buy something that you can't support for more than a year or so.

I appreciate that you can't give a definitive answer but if you can give me an approximate ' Bandhelper shelf life' for a 1st Gen unit I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Graham

arlo

A first-generation 12.9" iPad is already 7 years old. Assuming the one you buy has been updated to the latest operating system, I would expect it to be pretty slow; I usually see that when the hardware is more than 3 years older than the operating system. I have no way to know when Apple will end support for different iPad models, but the developer tools usually remain compatible for a few years after iOS updates stop. So this will probably work for several years, but with less than ideal performance.

The Saint

Very clear advice Arlo

I'll take a look round my music room, try to sell some bits and pieces to help fund a newer iPad.

Thanks...

Champie

As a user, I'll be sad when it stops working on old devices. I have two old iPads which literally only get used for Bandhelper. As a software developer, I'm frankly amazed that you've supported the old versions of iOS / Android as long as you have.