Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Midi set-up for voicelive3

Started by CrimsonMusic, October 24, 2022, 04:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrimsonMusic

Hello.  Looking through the docs but not sure how to get the voicelive3 connected and communicating through midi. Band helper shows it as connected but not exactly sure how to send or receive. Would like to change tracks, play tracks etc. Is there a guide for this somewhere.

arlo

This is the first result I got when searching Google for "bandhelper voicelive":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZjrVhPgMCM

This shows Set List Maker, but the MIDI functionality would be the same.

CrimsonMusic

Thanks I didn't know setlist is the same. I tried this but it doesn't seem to get the midi codes from learn. Possible connect problem in the screen shot.?

arlo

Do you see any incoming messages in the MIDI activity log (shown in your screen shot) when you trigger functions on the VoiceLive?

CrimsonMusic

Hello.

I connected the cable and brought up the screen with the activity log. As I was turning on effects, harmonies, etc, I could not see anything registering in the log.

arlo

What model of MIDI interface are you using? I see "funs-tech.com" in your screen shot, but that website lists several models.

CrimsonMusic

The only things I see are Lekato Lum-03 USB-C midi interface. On their site, it looks exactly as the one labeled "MIDI To USB-C Cable"

I also have a bluetooth (BM-A01). I can connect to it with BandHelper but it behaves the same.

arlo

So you're going from USB-C on your Android tablet to the MIDI DIN jacks on the VoiceLive 3 using a USB MIDI interface labeled Lekato Lum-03?

What Android version do you have? You can see that in the Help > About menu in BandHelper.

CrimsonMusic

Quote from: arlo on October 25, 2022, 10:15:07 AM
So you're going from USB-C on your Android tablet to the MIDI DIN jacks on the VoiceLive 3 using a USB MIDI interface labeled Lekato Lum-03?

What Android version do you have? You can see that in the Help > About menu in BandHelper.

Yes, that is how I am connecting the tablet, which is android version 9

arlo

Does a light blink on the MIDI interface when you trigger a function on the VoiceLive?

CrimsonMusic

It Does Not. Faulty cable I guess?

I tried the bluetooth one, and I seem to be able to connect. I also do see some messages when I turn features on the VL3. However the "learn" still doesn't seem to pick up anything.

arlo

If you're receiving data from one MIDI interface but not the other and everything else is the same, that does point to an issue with the MIDI interface (if neither received messages, I'd look at the VoiceLive settings to make sure it is actually sending data).

The data in your screen shot shows incoming control change messages on channel 1, so if you've set up a MIDI Device on channel 1 and click MIDI Learn on a MIDI preset edit page, the control change fields should populate.

Alternatively, you can look at the "MIDI CC List" on page 176 in the VoiceLive manual...

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/download/software/tchelicon/tc-helicon_voicelive_3_reference_manual_english.pdf

...and just type the numbers into the fields.

MikeyJ

Here's a link to the TC Helicon support forum where someone asked about something similar. Maybe you can take something away from this? I replied myself, I believe it's the last comment at this point, confirming that it does work with Set List Maker.

https://community.musictribe.com/discussions/307797/318396/help-with-midi-program-changes-instructions-for-voice-live-3-ext

I am currently connecting to and changing presets on the VL3 with no issues so let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike