Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Recent USB/MIDI Changes For SLM?

Started by Hectic, January 27, 2023, 06:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hectic

Have there been any recent changes to SLM for the USB/MIDI functions with Android?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 & SLM. I had an M-Audio Midisport Uno that I had bought a few years earlier that worked well to send channel changes to my Helix and GR-55. I bought a second Midisport Uno so that I could leave one set up at home and one set up at rehearsal.

Both worked fine for a couple of months. We took a little time off from rehearsals over the holidays. My home setup worked just fine, but when I returned to rehearsal 2 weeks ago, it stopped working. I took everything home to troubleshoot the problem. Everything (each cable) worked with the exception of the Midisport that I had at rehearsal. I thought that the cable went bad, so I bought a replacement. It doesn't work either.

After thinking through it, the 2 newer Midisports are the ones that don't work, and the older one does.
I remember there being an update to SLM recently but not my Android.

Were there any software updates or possibly any settings that I may need to adjust?
Any tips on troubleshooting the connection issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

arlo

There have been no recent changes to the MIDI functionality.

Do you have the Port field set on the MIDI device that you're using? Maybe the newer MIDI interface reports a different port name to Android and that prevents you from swapping between them. You can set the port to All to avoid that problem.

Hectic

Thanks for the feedback Arlo. It's very much appreciated.

I'll try adjusting the ports to all this weekend and see if it helps. Both Midisports worked before the holidays, and both foot pedals are still set ti the same channels that they were before.

As I'm crossing things off of my troubleshooting list, I know that all of my cables and 1 of the 3 Midiports work. The odds are pretty low that the Midisport that was new and quit working, and the brand new one also doesn't work are both defective. Knowing that SLM hasn't had any MIDI changes helps me cross that off the list too.

Getting helpful feedback here is a lot easier than Samsung or Droid forums.

Hectic

A little more troubleshooting.

I tinkered with the port and even channel settings to see if they helped, but nothing.
I tried the the 2 new Midisport cables with my PC and DAW and synthesizer and they were sending and receiving midi properly, so I know they aren't defective.

My original Midisport is still working with SLM, so there is something different about the 2 newer ones.
I'm not sure how to tell what the difference is between the 3 Midisports.

Since one of the 2 new Midisports was working with SLM before the holidays, and doesn't work now, I'm leaning toward it being an Android or tablet issue.
I don't think the tablet had a software update recently, so it's still not making any sense.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Hectic

Even more troubleshooting in case someone has had similar issues that they are either experiencing or have been able to resolve.

I connected the Midisport that I know works with SLM on my tablet to my phone (Galaxy Note) and SLM sends the midi messages to my foot pedals. I connected one of the newer Midisports that isn't working on my tablet to my phone and it's also working perfectly. So I'm certain that SLM and the Midisports are good.

So I think the only variable left is what could have gone wrong with the tablet or if anyone has run into compatibility issues with new/old Midisports.
Does anything need to be reset from time to time to help with odd MIDI/USB behavior?
I'm hoping to not have to reinstall SLM just to test it, when it's otherwise working well.

Thanks!

arlo

Please submit a help ticket and then send the app's troubleshooting info:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia

In your ticket, please clarify what items you have and which have the problem. (Your original post described an old and a new USB interface, then that became three interfaces and I can't tell what their relationship is.) Are they all the same brand and model?

Hectic

Arlo,

Thank you for looking into this. Your product support is above and beyond!

From what you've been able to figure out, newer Midisports have an updated firmware that has issues with Android 13. (On my tablet)
Older versions of Android (I have 10 on my phone) work with both the old and newer Midisport firmware.

I've read that Google knows about the issue and is working on a patch.

If you've got an older version of Android and rely on it to run MIDI, you might want to think about holding off on installing updates.

If I find any solutions, I'll post them in case anybody else has run into this Android bug.

arlo

I second the recommendation about not updating to Android 13 if you're using MIDI. Android 13 adds support for MIDI 2.0, but introduces several bugs to its MIDI 1.0 implementation. My apps only support MIDI 1.0 anyway.

Hectic

For what it's worth....

Almost a year to the day, Google and Samsung finally got around to fixing the midi issue I had with my tablet!
Better late than never I suppose.

Now I don't have to rely on my oldest Unu that I had to pack up and take with me everywhere. The newer 2 that quit working when my Android got updated to 13 are working again.
I can leave one Uno at practice, one at home, and I have a spare to take to gigs. 

arlo