Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Way to start next song automatically for a 2-song medley within a normal set?

Started by greiswig, June 03, 2023, 07:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greiswig

I'm wondering if there is a way that I can have BH automatically start the next song for one song only? Like the subject says, trying to do a 2-song medley, and this would be really helpful because my hands are pretty full.

Thank you!

arlo

You can edit the set list and click the Link Songs button to place a link between the songs, then edit your layout, set Next Song to Song Completion and turn on Only Between Linked Songs.

greiswig

Thank you, Arlo.

This nearly works, but I'd also like the second song to start scrolling automatically. As it is, there's a 15-second timer when the first song ends, then it just goes to the next song but doesn't start it. Is there a way to do that, too?

arlo

If you don't want the set list's time between songs to be used, you can edit the layout details and turn on Ignore Time Between Songs.

If you want the auto-scrolling to start automatically, you can edit the layout details and set Start/Stop Auto-Scroll to Song Selection. However, that will apply to all songs. If you only want to start the auto-scrolling on song selection for linked songs, you can record an automation track that starts the auto-scrolling and start the automation track on song selection.

greiswig

I'm trying again to get this to work as I intended. Now I can't get it to advance at all, it seems.

IMG_0036 should, if the image works, show that Lido Shuffle and Breakdown Dead Ahead are linked.

IMG_0038 shows what I think to be the relevant settings for this that should allow it to advance, but it does not. Any hints as to why not?

Also, and possibly related, the text at the bottom of the menu reads "Layout Settings have been moved to Settings>App Control." But I can't seem to find a menu item labeled "Settings?"

arlo

The app will consider the end of a song to be when a recording ends, when a video ends, when an automation track ends or when the duration defined for the song ends. Are you using one of those?

Also, since I wrote this:

If you only want to start the auto-scrolling on song selection for linked songs, you can record an automation track that starts the auto-scrolling and start the automation track on song selection.

I have added a Song Auto-Selection app control option. You can use that for the Start Auto-Scroll action to only start auto-scrolling when you have auto-selected a linked song.

greiswig

Quote from: arlo on November 06, 2023, 02:44:01 PM
The app will consider the end of a song to be when a recording ends, when a video ends, when an automation track ends or when the duration defined for the song ends. Are you using one of those?

Also, since I wrote this:

I have added a Song Auto-Selection app control option. You can use that for the Start Auto-Scroll action to only start auto-scrolling when you have auto-selected a linked song.

Hmmm...OK, I don't have automation or recording on those songs, but I did have auto-scroll pre-roll and auto-scroll duration both set. The only parameter nearby that wasn't set was duration, which I tried setting just now to 10 seconds to see if that would do anything. Same behavior: the song ends, and just stays on the end of the song like any other unlinked song would. I then tried changing the duration to 3:31 (1 second longer than the scroll duration), and still the same behavior. Not sure what else to try?

Also, as I mentioned before, I don't see a "Settings>App Control" area in my iPad menu, as referred to in that one menu?

arlo

To clarify: you set a duration for the song "Lido Shuffle," then clicked that song title in the set list and waited for that duration and the app did not automatically select the next song?

greiswig

Quote from: arlo on November 07, 2023, 09:23:39 AM
To clarify: you set a duration for the song "Lido Shuffle," then clicked that song title in the set list and waited for that duration and the app did not automatically select the next song?

Correct. And I also tried closing the app and restarting, too. Still not advancing.

arlo

Okay, it looks like the song auto-selection based on the song duration isn't working unless some app control action is set to Song Completion. This will be fixed in the next update. For an immediate workaround, you can go to Settings (from the Accounts list, the first screen in the app) > App Control > Actions > All > Stop Tempo and set that to Layout Actions > Song Completion. You can remove that setting after the next update. I'll post here when that's available.

greiswig

Quote from: arlo on November 07, 2023, 12:24:24 PM
Okay, it looks like the song auto-selection based on the song duration isn't working unless some app control action is set to Song Completion. This will be fixed in the next update. For an immediate workaround, you can go to Settings (from the Accounts list, the first screen in the app) > App Control > Actions > All > Stop Tempo and set that to Layout Actions > Song Completion. You can remove that setting after the next update. I'll post here when that's available.

Yes, sir, that worked. Thank you. Now I need to try to figure out the rest of the automation and such, but I'm at least in the ballpark.

arlo

In the latest app version 2023-11-11, the song auto-selection based on the song duration will be triggered even if no app control actions are set to Song Completion.

mikesierras

I have a similar quest as the original topic but what I would like to do is have automation start only between linked songs. Is that possible? I don't want automation to start on every song, but I do want Select Next Song after every song, not just Linked songs.

arlo

No, the app control actions can distinguish between songs that are auto-selected or not, but can't distinguish between songs that are linked or not. So you could have only linked songs be auto-selected and automatically start the automation track, but you can't have all songs be auto-selected with only linked songs automatically starting the automation track.

mikesierras

It would be a nice future enhancement. As it stands I'll have to combine my medley tracks into one long track so they play continuously.