Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Managing 2 versions of documents for songs

Started by guarachon63, June 08, 2023, 05:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guarachon63

In my project, the string players get their chords and lyric sheets in vertical (portrait) format.
The chorus members receive their (lyrics-only) sheets in horizontal (landscape) format.

I have all the chords+lyrics sheets uploaded as pdfs and can export the set list as one document, which is amazing.

I'm wondering if there is a way to store the documents for strings (chords+lyrics, portrait format) and chorus (Lyrics only, landscape format) in the same song, create a set list, and export the string players' sheets in one document and the chorus members sheets in another?

I see that there is a place to put lyrics in a field in the song - would that make the above task any easier somehow? Not seeing how to export only the lyrics field from songs.

thanks again for the wonderful app and help!
Barry

arlo

Using the built-in Lyrics field instead of attaching documents wouldn't solve your problem.

If each person is logging in with their own usernames, you can use one of the techniques described in "HOW CAN I SET UP MY ACCOUNT SO EACH BAND MEMBER SEES HIS OR HER OWN DOCUMENT FOR EACH SONG" in the FAQ. Then everyone will see their own version of the document or lyrics, whether viewing the info in the app or exporting it to a file:

https://www.bandhelper.com/support/FAQ.html

If the others aren't logging in and you're doing all the exporting, only the first option will work, and only from the app. The other options rely on user-specific settings. To use one of the other options, you would either need to show your bandmates how to log in and view or export their info themselves, or you would need to log in as each band member and export their files while logged in as them. You would need to do that from the website because the app doesn't support logging in and out as different users.

An option to export (share a set list or share songs) to a file using another user's settings is on my wish list.

guarachon63

Hey Arlo that's a great suggestion -  all the chorus has the same part so logging in as a chorus member might be the way to go, will take a look at the link and give it a try later and let you know, thanks!

Darug

Sounds like a good idea, especially if the other member is time-poor, non tech, lazy etc.

arlo

On the Share Songs page of the website, if you are an administrator of the account, you can now select another user to share the songs as if you are logged in as them -- using their custom fields, document assignments and personal sync settings.