Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

SHUAIGUO MS1 (M-Vave) Wireless Midi interface on Android

Started by mrguiro, June 25, 2023, 10:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrguiro

Hi has anyone had any success in using the SHUAIGUO MS1 wireless midi interface with Bandhelper? These are £17 on Amazon so I figured it was worth a try.

I can get my android phone to connect to it in Bandhelper and it successfully controls my Beatbuddy, but only for a few seconds before the connection is dropped. It doesn't seem to hold connection for more than 30 seconds or so. I also can't connect to it from the android bluetooth settings menu, although the device is visible, it never connects.

Any help/experience appreciated
Thanks

arlo

On its UK product page (I didn't find it in the US store), I don't see Android mentioned anywhere in the product description or the reviews. I also don't see "class-compliant" mentioned, which is necessary to use with mobile devices (this means it works without a driver, which you can't install on mobile devices). The reviews include several people using them with iOS devices, so it must be, although the product description says "specific protocol" which I would have assumed meant that it isn't.

Most USB MIDI interfaces don't officially support Android, but some work anyway. Depending on your Android version, you can install the free MIDI BLE Connect app and try connecting to it from that. But that app seems to no longer be supported for the latest Android versions. You should not connect to Bluetooth MIDI devices from the Android or iOS settings apps; you should always connect to them from a MIDI app (I don't know why they're designed that way).

mrguiro

Ok thanks for your help - it was worth a try!

So is there a device that will let me connect wirelessly from an android tablet to a midi device (esp. Beatbuddy)? There seem to be a few products that look promising but I can't find any that categorically seem to support Android

Thanks

arlo

This is the only one I've seen that advertises Android compatibility:

https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-master/

But I heard from one user who said it worked the same as the others.

I do have a lead on a way to fix the dropped connection, but it will take a couple months to work through. I will update this page when I find out more about that.

mrguiro

Ok thanks, I'll investigate widi-master and good luck with the connection dropping issue!

arlo

What Android version do you have, and does the new version 2023-07-21 released yesterday fix the dropped connections?