Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Import Automation

Started by klutzee, September 07, 2023, 05:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klutzee

Is it possible to import automation? For example, record my patch/program changes to my Kemper in Logic Pro X as a midi file and import that file to Band Helper?

Thanks in advance!

arlo

Yes, BandHelper can play standard MIDI files. Instructions are on this page, toward the bottom:

https://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/sending_MIDI.html

klutzee

klutzee

Arlo,
So I have created a MIDI file in Logic Pro X, sent the MIDI from channel 1 in Logic to my MOTU M4 and out to my Kemper (channel 1), the MIDI messages were picked up from Logic and my Kemper reacted as I expected, exported the MIDI file and added it to my iPad, added it as a recording in Band Helper, selected the audio recording it is to be attached to, attached the file to the audio recording, (the MIDI file was created from the same session in Logic that the audio recording was created in), made sure my MOTU M4 was registered under MIDI devices, went to a setlist, selected the song, played the song, and I am not receiving any MIDI to my Kemper VIA th MOTU M4.
I am using 2 recordings already for the songs as I am running stereo backing tracks and sending click and cues from the other 2 channels.

What am I missing? Please Help!!!

Thanks SOOOOO Much!!!

arlo

Quoteadded it as a recording in Band Helper

You don't have to do that, but it won't hurt anything if you do. You only need to attach the MIDI file to the recording in BandHelper.

QuoteI am not receiving any MIDI to my Kemper VIA th MOTU M4

You can click the MIDI button in the top toolbar to see if your MIDI interface is listed in the Connected Ports and to see if the outgoing MIDI is shown in the Activity Log.

klutzee

OK Thank you. I will try that this weekend.

Thanks

klutzee

OK, I THINK Im making some progress. I have gotten BH to send MIDI. It is going to the MOTU M4 and out of it and into Kemper. But.........The program change is happening way later than what I have programmed it to do. I have replaced cables, rewrote my MIDI tracks, changed settings, and so on. Any more advice or suggestions!

Thanks Again!!!

Greg

arlo

How long is "way later"? What data are you sending from the MIDI file? Is the other data timed correctly?

klutzee

Like 30 seconds. I am sending a program change as soon as the count starts and then a CC11 to put the Kemper in "morph" mode. The program change happed, like a said after 30 seconds (or more) and the CC message never sent. It all sent fine in Logic.

Thanks for being so attentive Arlo!

arlo

Can you give a timeline showing what MIDI messages you expect to be sent from your MIDI file, and another timeline showing what is received by the destination device? Like this:

00:00 control change 1, value 2
00:10 program change 3
etc.

klutzee

I will try to do this Sunday. Thanks