Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Layouts - Unable to scroll up and down for Chords

Started by apilz587, October 16, 2023, 10:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apilz587

Hi.. I am a returning Bandhelper from 5yrs ago.. and trying to get everything set up again for a new band.

I don't recall having the issue I am seeing now. but here is what I am seeing.

I am using an iPhone 14 Max Pro as my device (I don't have a tablet at the moment)

I open a Set List with Split View (attached screenshot)

I see the chords on the right side.. and can pinch zoom in and out, but I am not able to scroll down by swiping up / down to see all the chords? I can pinch zoom out to see all chords, but the are unreadable. I don't remeber having this issue before.

Please help.. I am not alone and I am trying to encourage others to use the app but they are stumped also. HELP  :o What am I doing wrong??

arlo

The Chords field isn't scrollable; it is designed to sit above the lyrics field and never take up the full height of the screen. In your case you have a lot of spaces between the chords that is causing line wrapping and make the chords content taller than it probably needs to be. You can remove that and format your chords like one of the examples in steps 7 and 8 here:

https://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/adding_lyrics.html

Other options are to put your chords in the Lyrics field, or to position your phone in portrait orientation so the screen is taller.

apilz587

Thanks Arlo!

Good to catch this now before we go too far entering and having to rework. I seriously never remember this being that case before? Anyway thanks for the quick response.. I think I prefer the lyric and chord together approach as it helps with timing. The reason I moved away from this was because I kept getting a warning stating that there were chords included in the lyrics and they should be in the chords section. So I painstakingly removed lyrics from the chords and chords from the lyrics as suggested.

(Btw formatted the chords so only single spaces between and still not entirely happy)

I have pages of chords, I suppose the intention is to have just a verse section chorus section etc and not have multiple verses (duplicating the chord sequences over and over).

arlo

I think I prefer the lyric and chord together approach as it helps with timing. The reason I moved away from this was because I kept getting a warning stating that there were chords included in the lyrics and they should be in the chords section.

I don't think there is any warning about that. There is a warning if you put more than 12 lines of text into the Chords field that you might need to put it into the Lyrics field instead.

I have pages of chords, I suppose the intention is to have just a verse section chorus section etc and not have multiple verses (duplicating the chord sequences over and over).

That's correct.

apilz587

Hi again... Having another go at this.. I have decided to merge the chords with the lyrics, and using [] around chords. For some reason the chords are not shown correctly above the lyrics as suggested. What am I doing wrong? see attached. For eases I am using the web page to enter chords and lyrics, and using iPhone 14 Pro Max to see the results.

If you look at the first verse.. the first two rows are chords followed by lyrics..

Inline appearance looks correct (also added a snaps for reference)

arlo

Your lyrics lines are wrapping and chords-above-lyrics doesn't work when the lines wrap. You would need to either edit your lyrics to manually break up the lines, or resize your text small enough that the lines don't wrap.

If you're viewing these on your phone, you can get a document viewer that's twice as wide if you use the Full-Screen Lyrics, Overlapping Buttons or More Buttons layout instead of the Split View layout. Then your text can be twice as large before it wraps.