Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Double-tap shows lyrics/chords in new release

Started by holmesid85, November 04, 2023, 08:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holmesid85

Before the latest update, when viewing a set list via my custom layout and double clicking a song on the song list it would send the midi preset for that song because i have the option of "song second selection" enabled. But now the double-tap seems to open a full screen of chords/lyrics instead of just firing off the midi preset. If i do a slow double-tap then it will send the midi preset but I find myself still accidentally double-tapping too quickly and the app interprets that as me wanting the full screen lyrics/chords thing.

Is there a way to shut off the double-tap full screen lyrics/chords from happening? Thanks!

arlo

A double tap and a second selection aren't the same thing. You would use the Song Second Selection trigger if you want to look at the song for a few moments and then trigger some functions when you're ready to start playing it. If you want to send the MIDI immediately, you could trigger it from Song Selection instead.

holmesid85

If i double tap the song it used to just fire off the midi preset, but now it shows chords. I used to have it fire off midi on song selection but I don't always want the midi to send on song selection, so I changed it to second song selection. Second song selection requires two taps. If i tap twice too fast the app interprets it as a double tap. It'd be great to turn off the double-tap-to-show-chords feature. Or at least have it so that when you're double-tapping the song it doesn't full screen the chords.

jamkeys

Hi- I came to ask the same exact question and use second song selection for the same exact reason - to send midi.  I've been doing so for years and don't want the initial song selection to send. I use a Split View and it does say the double tap feature is going away?.

I knew second song in last night what was going on and yet almost every song for the rest of the night I still instinctively double clicked each song as we got to it- then had to double
Click again to get back to the song list. 

I guess I'll get used to it- but would prefer it to be how I've worked with it for years.

arlo

Again, Song Second Selection is designed to let you select a song and look at a song for a few moments before triggering some functions by selecting it again.

holmesid85 said, "I don't always want the midi to send on song selection." If you sometimes want to view a song without triggering its functions, that is a good use for Song Second Selection. But in the cases where you do want to trigger its functions, you would need to make the second selection more than a half-second after the first to avoid generating a double-tap gesture. Please try that and if you can't get used to it, I'll consider an advanced setting to ignore double-taps in the song list.

jamkeys said, "I double clicked each song as we got to it." If you intend to trigger these functions for every song as soon as you select it, I recommend using Song Selection instead of Song Second Selection. To change that, you can go to Settings > App Control > Actions, select Active, and then change any setting that is currently using Song Second Selection to use Song Selection. Then you can simply tap instead of double-tap each song.

holmesid85

Thanks for the reply Arlo!

To give some context, I have two bands and in one band i like to sometimes look ahead and then other times quickly trigger the midi(it's a wedding band so preset selection can be hasty) and i did try on my last gig to not double tap, but can be hard when we're quickly changing songs.

In my other band, i actually change not only my midi preset but my guitar players too, so sometimes I like to look at the next song before sending off his and my midi preset changes. Other times i want to just change them right then and there as I'm playing guitar and/or piano in both bands, so i have to be quite efficient in switching between somgs
Again i may be able to get used to it, but being able to switch it off in the layout or settings might be nice.

This app is a lifesaver either way! Thanks!

JerryK

Jumping in -
I'm finding that double-tap (sum-) volume, to return to 'normal' 50% is changing lyrics to full-screen instead.
Can I do something to fix that?

arlo

Quotei did try on my last gig to not double tap, but can be hard when we're quickly changing songs.

Two fast taps in different locations will not trigger a double-tap, so you could move your finger position a bit between the taps. That might be easier to learn than waiting a half-second between taps.

Quotedouble-tap (sum-) volume, to return to 'normal' 50% is changing lyrics to full-screen instead.

That will be fixed in the next update in the next day or two.

arlo

In the new app version 2023-11-11 released yesterday, a double-tap on a volume slider will reset the slider to the default volume and will not trigger the layering toggle.

dotonemanband

Every gig since the double tap has changed I have the same problem with the sidebar showing songlist opening up after just starting a song. I have to press two buttons to begin a song. First the scroll button and then the play button. I'm trying to slow down each pressing of the buttons but when going from one song to the next sometimes it just happens as you want to start the next song without too much of a gap. Then I'm trying to double tap to get rid of the songlist sidebar as the song has already begun. And then I'm tapping away to get rid of the sidebar and show the whole screen of lyrics.

arlo

Tapping in two places won't trigger a double-tap, but it previously did on Android. If you're using the Android app, please update to the current version.

Also, if you want to start two functions for every song, you don't have to tap two separate buttons. To start them as soon as you select the song, you can go to Settings > App Control > Actions and set both actions to Song Selection. To start them some moments later, you can set both actions to Two-Fingered Tap or Three-Fingered Tap.

JerryK

I'm finding the double-tap a bit of a pest.  It keeps happening when I'm trying to do something else, perhaps in a hurry, while playing.  I think I'd like to be able to switch it off or possibly the double-tap time should be shorter?  Possibly press and hold instead?  That's not a considered proposition, just an after-thought.

arlo

Quote from: JerryK on December 11, 2023, 03:03:44 AM
I'm finding the double-tap a bit of a pest.  It keeps happening when I'm trying to do something else, perhaps in a hurry, while playing.  I think I'd like to be able to switch it off or possibly the double-tap time should be shorter?

What type of layout are you using (song list on top, document viewer on top, or split view)?

I wish the double-tap time were configurable, but it is not on iOS or Android. I would need to implement my own custom gesture detectors to change that.

JerryK

Almost always split views.  I prefer to see what's coming, beyond 1 song, in case of surprises

arlo

Okay, it might finally be time to remove the old full-screen functionality. Alerts in the app have been warning about this for almost two years, but I'm afraid a lot of people are still using it. That wouldn't help if you're accidentally triggering double-taps in a layered layout, but it would stop double-taps from doing anything in a split view layout. I'll consider that for the first release in the new year.