Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Send Multiple Midi messages for different parts of songs

Started by Insider0203, November 08, 2023, 06:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insider0203

I'm using set list maker to send multiple Midi messages once a new song loads. I use an external midi controller to send the a CC message to setlist maker to go to the next song.

Is there way that I can have another batch of midi messages send with another footswitch command?

The easiest solution I can think of is to just make multiple songs for the different sections (Song 1 Intro, Song 1 Verse, Song 1 Chorus etc). But My band heavily relies on the "title+1" field to always see the next song. So I is there another way to accomplish this?

arlo

When you say "multiple MIDI messages," do you mean multiple MIDI presets? I'll assume you just mean one preset, which can send multiple MIDI messages.

You can add more MIDI presets to a song, then map a remote control message to the Send MIDI 1, Send MIDI 2, etc. app control actions. So the Send MIDI 1 action could send the verse preset, Send MIDI 2 could send the chorus preset, etc.

Insider0203

I didn't know this was a feature as these actions were hidden under the "all" tab in the app control section! That's great! However, it might mean I have to restructure my song presets now. Some songs I have multiple MIDI presets being sent at once as soon as the song loads. There's no easy way I can package multiple presets into one bigger preset is there?

arlo

You can make one parent preset and attach the current set of presets to it, then only attach the parent preset to the song.

I would only do this if you want to reuse the child presets in different combinations. If you only need those once in this combination, it will be easier to manage if you put all the messages into one preset.

Insider0203

Thanks for the help again Arlo. I have another question now. Is it possible to send the reuse the same preset in one song?

What I want to do is use a MIDI foot switch to just step through the MIDI presets through a song. I hit the foot switch to advance the song, set list maker sends the first midi preset once the song loads. Then I hit the MIDI foot switch again to send the second MIDI preset, and again for the 3rd, so on and so forth. However, what if I want to send the same preset I used for Midi preset 1 for Midi preset 3. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to do that with a foot switch.

(I know that can be done with automation but automation isn't an option for the band I'm in)

arlo

You can attach the same MIDI preset to a song multiple times. So if you had MIDI presets for the verse, chorus and solo you could attach them like this:

Verse
Chorus
Verse (again)
Chorus (again)
Solo
Verse (again)
Chorus (again)

Insider0203

Oh wow. I was just about to say that I can't add a preset again as they appear greyed out on the list of midi presets after you add it to the song. But I just discovered that greyed out presets can still be added.

That's great that I can actually add the same preset multiple times but that's definitely a confusing user interface. Maybe just have a check instead of greying them out?

arlo

A checkmark would imply that you can remove a preset by unchecking it, and if that were the case, there wouldn't be a way to add the same preset again. As it is, the faded style is a reminder that it has already been added, but it doesn't stop you from adding it again. Adding songs to a set list works the same way.