Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Is there a limit of MIDI presets ?

Started by yamahap200, November 28, 2023, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamahap200

Need help from someone - I have been creating studio sets for a long time with my Roland Synthesizer and configuring Setlist Maker to control my sound patch changes and it has been working awesome, but it seems that I may have hit a limit of how many studio sets can actually work with Setlist Maker.  Please take a look at my screen shot and if you have some advice to share it would be greatly appreciated. I was trying to add some additional MIDI presets to Setlist Maker to work along with my newly created studio sets, but it seems that I might have used all MIDI presets. Ive created up to this point 127 MIDI presets but I get an error trying to go to 128 and higher. How do people get around this? Or am I limited to 127?

I have many more patches I'd like to use with setlist maker and now I hit a wall.  Any help would be greatly appreciated- thanks

arlo

The MIDI spec only supports 128 programs per bank, but you can have 16384 banks. When you get to the last program number in a bank, you can increment the bank LSB number and start over with the program number, and when you get to the last bank LSB number, you can increment the bank MSB number and start over with the LSB number. The lowest possible program would be 0 0 0 (MSB, LSB, program) and the highest possible would be 127 127 127.

yamahap200

Thanks for the information, but if my keyboard/synthesizer is already using 127 Studio Sets (Roland) and I want to include the studio sets that are from 128 and higher, I don't see how I get around this issue because of how the studio sets are saved, it actually gives a number when saving the sound patches on the keyboard.  I can technically save 512 studio sets on the keyboard but with setlist maker I think I'm limited to using 1 - 127.  Looks to me that I will be forced to use existing midi presets for different songs that are similar in fashion. If this is the only way then I guess I have work with that.

arlo

Your keyboard documentation should explain how to select studio sets numbered 128 and above. Most likely you'll need to set one bank number for the first 128 studio sets and another bank number for the rest.

yamahap200

thank you for the quick reply. I'll take a look -