Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Have a Wish - Sequence for Send Midi 1, 2 etc

Started by Zionplayer, December 28, 2023, 07:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zionplayer

I was thinking the newer "Settings-App Control-Send Midi 1, 2, etc" on song selection would be able to replace my current workflow, where I use an Automation created for each song to send my 5 or 6 Midi Presets to control dmx light program, guitar modeler settings, reverb on/off on the board. Turns out this won't work, as they are all sent immediately on song selection (as the choice implies) as opposed to in a more linear fashion, like 1, then 2, then 3, etc

So it won't work because I first need my Light Off scene, then my Low Light scene, then my Spotlight scene, then my Axe Preset, then my Axe Tempo...

Any chance of getting this action type available to the Automation (Send Midi X or Send Pinned Midi X, etc) - then I could create/copy 1 Automation for all songs that has my sequence in it.
Or, any chance of getting these to sequence somehow from the Setting menu - preferably with the Pinned Send Midi also available to be sequenced?

Might not be worth the effort, as I know a lot of these workflow items get very specific to a user, and the way I run it right now does work fine for me. 
I say it often - great program, invaluable to the 3 bands I am currently in.

arlo

It sounds like you have Settings > Audio & MIDI > Send MIDI Presets Together turned on and you want that to be off.

However, if you are replacing an automation track with the app control functions, that means you would be triggering each MIDI preset manually from a foot switch -- is that what you want?

Zionplayer

I did try it with Send Midi Presets Together turned off, didn't seem to change the behavior.

In Settings>App Control>Actions> Send Midi X, my thought was to use Layout Actions>Song Selection.

But in choosing >Song Selection for Send Midi 1 thru 5, it sends them All on Song Selection (which appropriate to the command, but not for my workflow).  Guess I really want Send Midi on Song Selection in this order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and with x time between.

Sounds like an Automation, right... like I said, works as I have it, I just have to record a different Automation for each song (to send the right settings for each song - Song Light Scene, Song Axe Preset, Song Axe Tempo).  Takes me maybe 60 seconds to set up the Automation for each new Song as is and then it follows the song whenever used, so not a biggie by any means.

arlo

Do you mean you're using five different app control actions to send five different MIDI preset positions? If so, you can't control the order in which those are sent. However, you could rearrange the order in which the presets are attached to the song.

If you're sending all of a song's presets on song selection, then there's no benefit to using five different "Send MIDI X" app control actions versus the one "Send MIDI" action.

Another option is to make a parent preset with child presets attached to it, and only attach the parent preset to a song. This lets you group presets and then you can send all the child presets by sending the parent preset.