Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Sending a MIDI preset when leaving a song

Started by jimm, February 02, 2024, 06:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimm

Is it possible to send a MIDI preset when leaving a song, no matter how I leave it? When I open a song, the MIDI presets get sent. For some songs, I'd like to send a "cleanup" MIDI preset whenever I "leave" that song --- whether through pressing the Next Song button or selecting another song from the set list, or swiping on the screen, any other way.

Here's a concrete example: I use MidiFlow on my iPad to configure my synths' MIDI routing and tweak some things like velocity curves. Unfortunately, each setup in MidiFlow isn't addressable via a program change message. Rather, it responds to CC messages to go to the "next setup" or "previous setup". I'd like to be able to have one normal MIDI Preset in BH send the CC message to MidiFlow to go to the "next setup", then --- however I leave the song in BH --- send the proper CC message to tell MidiFlow to go back to the "previous setup".

Another made-up example: let's say I use a MIDI preset to send a particular "on" CC message (value 127) to some MIDI device and I want to set it back to 0 when I leave the song.

JerryK

You can "send pinned midi" (which is the first one) on song completion.
I believe that midi preset can contain other midi presets, including for different channels (devices). So you can do quite a lot with it.

jimm

Thank you. I'm not sure that'll do what I want, since 1. I want it to potentially be a different MIDI preset for each song that needs it, and 2. I don't want to have to press a button, I'd like it to be sent automatically when I leave the sone.

arlo

The normal way to do this is to create a MIDI preset that resets all the parameters that any song would change, then pin that preset to all songs, then send pinned presets from Song Completion (when a song ends) or Song Selection (when you select the next song).

If you need to send a different "reset" preset for each song, you could put those in the second position and trigger the Send MIDI Preset 2 action from Song Completion or Song Selection. But if you are already sending more than one preset per song, you would need to combine those into a parent preset and attach that to the song in position 1, and turn off Settings > Audio & MIDI > Send MIDI Presets Together so you don't send your main preset and your "reset" preset at the same time.

jimm

Thank you, Arlo. I think that will do what I'm looking for.