Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Using Stream Deck?

Started by NeilS, February 22, 2024, 11:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilS

I have started to use Stream Deck to run backing tracks (in BAIB) - and while it outputs all kinds of hotkey instructions (key presses etc) I don't see a way to trigger events in BandHelper on a Mac, which would be very, very useful to me. Is there any way to do that?

arlo

Are you talking about the Elgato Stream Deck, a hardware media player? I don't know what BAIB is.

If a Stream Deck connects to your Mac and simulates a typing keyboard with keypresses, you could map those keys to actions on the Settings > App Control page in BandHelper.

NeilS

Thanks for the reply (been herding squirrels for too long).

Sorry about that - yes BIAB (bad case of fumble fingers in that post.)

Yes, Elgato Stream Deck which is kind of like a midi controller but for lots of apps, it can launch apps - do key commands and some specialized commands with certain apps like OBS.

HOWEVER - I can't get it to do the typing thing in BandHelper - but then my keyboard doesn't work for that either (I am using this on a MacBookPro)

arlo

What key messages does the Stream Deck output? Can you see them if you open a text document?

NeilS

It can do hotkeys, text, shortcuts, keycommands, even phrases if you want and yes I can get text into a text field/editor/notepad. And similar commands for BandHelper do work in Band-In-A-Box.

It's just weird that not even my computer keyboard will work with Bandhelper

arlo

BandHelper supports the four arrow keys, the 10 number keys, space and enter. Does the Stream Deck send those?

Also, what macOS version do you have? Keyboard input was broken in Big Sur (macOS 11) but worked in versions before and after that. It was broken again in the initial Sonoma version (macOS 14.0) but works in the current version.

NeilS

Of course, the computer I'm using is maxed out on Big Sur.

arlo

I have an idea for a possible fix that I'll put on my to do list and will let you know if it leads to anything.

NeilS

arlo

I tried another approach, but no luck. I think there is a bug in Big Sur that underlies both the methods I have tried.

NeilS

Just for a laugh I've input this text to StreamDeck to make sure it works correctly for outputting text like a keyboard.

And yes the above was input from steamdeck. I don't know if that helps but there it is.

Thank you for your work on this Arlo