Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Feature request: being able to save more document-viewer options per song

Started by pheldal, March 16, 2024, 04:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pheldal

Over the years I have used varying strategies to present songs for rehearsal and performance. Sometimes using the separate chords-field, sometimes bracketed chords, sometimes both. The appearance of the songs in my "songbook" varies a lot. Even if I could put in a lot of work to edit everything to the same standard there are musicians with different preferences.

To work around this it would be nice if the option to show/hide the chords-field (split screen) and show/hide bracketed (embedded) chords within lyrics could be saved on a per-song basis along with font-sizes for the frames.  The option to turn this functionality on or off could be made a per-user global setting to avoid messing up things for user who don't want this functionality.

arlo

Why would you want to have chords in the Chords field but have them persistently hidden? Similarly, why would you want to have bracketed chords in the Lyrics field but have them persistently hidden? I can understand that some users would want one display style and some another, which the current functionality supports. But if you want to hide one type of chords or the other from everyone, you can just remove them.

pheldal

Quote from: arlo on March 16, 2024, 10:50:43 AMWhy would you want to have chords in the Chords field but have them persistently hidden? Similarly, why would you want to have bracketed chords in the Lyrics field but have them persistently hidden? I can understand that some users would want one display style and some another, which the current functionality supports. But if you want to hide one type of chords or the other from everyone, you can just remove them.

Different musicians, different preferences. I have a lot of songs where chords are entered both as embedded in lyrics, and separate in the chords field, at the same time as there are older entries in the database that are not edited to the same standard.

Some musicians who don't sing may want to only see chords. This may be solved by maximising the font. Being able to hide lyrics was only added for completeness.

Some musicians doing backing vocals want to see the chords-field, but with lyrics as compact as possible below (without chords). This works fine with embedded chords hidden until you get to the first song where the chords-field is empty the embedded chords are required. I know it's simple to just hit the button to display the chords, but in the heat of the battle ....

Then there's the lead singer who also play an instrument and who need chords at least for practise. Here embedded chords with the chords-field hidden is fine until you get to a song with no embedded chords.

---

There is of course the option to edit everything to the same standard, but with 100s of songs that is not done in an instant, and there is an issue when copying from other band-accounts where things are done differently.  If, as requested, the ability to show/hide these elements individually for each song could be turned on/off globally I see very few situations where I would like to turn it off.

If it is just me then don't bother. I'm asking the question here to see if it is of interest to anybody else.

arlo

To summarize: you have added chords in the Chords field AND embedded them in the Lyrics field for many songs, so that each musician can show the style they want to see. But some songs have only one style of chords entered, so when the style a musician prefers is not available, you want the app to override their settings and show the chord style that they have hidden.

I think a new setting to say what chord style you prefer when both are available sounds better. That could automatically hide the other style when both are available, but would not override the hide settings for the two styles. So users would leave both styles visible, but could use this setting if some of the songs have both styles entered.

I can put that on my wish list.

pheldal

Quote from: arlo on March 18, 2024, 11:04:28 AMI think a new setting to say what chord style you prefer when both are available sounds better. That could automatically hide the other style when both are available, but would not override the hide settings for the two styles. So users would leave both styles visible, but could use this setting if some of the songs have both styles entered.

I can put that on my wish list.

Sound fine!!!