Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Song Suggestion List

Started by kevinmpeters, April 16, 2024, 09:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinmpeters

Hey All, how do you create and track suggested songs?  I've done it previously with prepending something to the song name, but there has to be a better way to track them and the state they are in?  For example, accepted, rejected, learning, etc?

arlo

Setting the song to a particular color is good for this. Or you use tags if you are already using colors for something else. In either case, you can then make a smart list that shows only the suggested songs, and another smart list that shows all the songs except the suggested songs.

kevinmpeters

I've done tags and colors previously, but was hoping to manage one larger list that was separate from the Repertoire/Songs.  Probably go back to a prepended and then moving declined songs to inactive unless there are better suggestions.

arlo

I'm not sure what you are looking for that the previous suggestions wouldn't offer. When  you say "manage one larger list that was separate from the Repertoire/Songs" that sounds like a smart list.

kevinmpeters

It will do it yes, I was thinking more of a document and not cluttering up the song list with suggested songs that weren't accepted yet.  I have done it that way in my other project and we end up with a super large number of songs and it gets a bit much, but it isn't an unworkable solution - just wanted ideas on how others may have done it differently in case there was something better.

Thanks for the validation Arlo, appreciate you and the team.

arlo

Another idea is to keep them in a separate project, but I didn't say this earlier because it could end up being more work than is needed.

Personally I use a color for this and it has never been a problem. When adding songs to a set list, I can sort by color and then it's easy to ignore the songs with the "suggestion" color.

JerryK

I use 4 Tags for song suitability, e.g. @B.El - where @ keeps this flavour all together, B contains Backing, El Electric or Ac Acoustic guitar.
Similarly, I've used a Tag to indicate state of readiness.  And/or whether a song is in a "Homework" setlist.