Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Missing recordings in version 4.0

Started by arlo, June 29, 2014, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

It looks like recordings that have empty Artist or Album fields in iTunes are not recognized by the app in version 4.0. I'll test this tomorrow (Monday) and post more info here.

Ruckman65

In iTunes, I selected all of my bands songs (323 of 'em) and, under File - Get Info, added my band's name to each of the data fields. This added metadata as a batch process. I then synced my iPad. Once completed, I opened SetList Maker and went through the arduous process of replacing each of the attached recordings with the updated versions with the metadata. When that was completed, in the Perform window of SetList Maker, the playback option appeared for each track.  So, it would seem that SetList Maker requires each track to contain metadata or it will not be recognized as a valid recording.

arlo

All right, I've confirmed that the recording button does not play a recording, and in some cases does not appear at all, if the song only has one recording attached and the recording has an empty Artist or Album field in iTunes.

I've fixed this in my working copy and will submit an update later today. With a little luck, Apple will approve the update before the weekend.

If you need an immediate fix, you can do as Ruckman65 described here. If you can wait a few days, the next version will take care of it for you.

arlo

I just submitted version 4.0.1 to Apple, which will restore links to recordings that have an empty Artist or Album field. With a little luck, Apple will approve this by the end of the week.

All the updates are listed here: http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/release_notes.html

GeoKeys

Thanks for addressing this quickly. I was able to do the workaround by changing the Get Info data in my iTunes for the songs I need tomorrow. Unfortunately, there is still so much wrong with the app, I can't use it. I am really upset, because I was relying on it for my shows. This was a huge mistake, and you didn't test it well enough. I will use it again after it gets straightened out, but meanwhile I am embarrassed for having recommended it to other musicians and band leaders, and hope they aren't angry with me right now.

Pongo

Quote from: GeoKeys on July 01, 2014, 03:08:10 PM
Thanks for addressing this quickly. I was able to do the workaround by changing the Get Info data in my iTunes for the songs I need tomorrow. Unfortunately, there is still so much wrong with the app, I can't use it. I am really upset, because I was relying on it for my shows. This was a huge mistake, and you didn't test it well enough. I will use it again after it gets straightened out, but meanwhile I am embarrassed for having recommended it to other musicians and band leaders, and hope they aren't angry with me right now.

Wow...that's a bit harsh.

While it's no secret that new releases always have issues, it's the user that has to shoulder at least some of the responsibility in being so eager to upgrade. Unless of course, your app auto-updated, because you told it to do so in the settings of your ios device, which again...isn't the fault of the developer.

Personally, it's all that I can do NOT to upgrade now, because I'm hopeful that SLM 4 will solve my automation problems, but...I'm not ready to jump into the deep end of the pool just yet.

arlo

Thanks, Pongo. It's true, installing anything with a round version number like 3.0, 4.0, etc. is very risky if you depend on your software for daily use. This goes for any software ... I usually wait until the x.0.2 release for software I buy.

In this case, I prefaced the release notes on my website and in the App Store with a warning that this is a big update and that you should not install it until you have some downtime between gigs to get familiar with it. Unfortunately, I have no way to ensure that people read these warnings.

Many people were taken by surprise by this update because their devices are set to install app updates automatically. If you are a performing musician, you can and should turn this option off ... instructions and further recommendations are here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,475.0.html

As far as testing goes, this has actually been my cleanest release so far in terms of crashes and serious issues, and I'm proud of all the work my testers did. The issue with recordings described above only affects a small portion of users, a workaround is available now, and a fix is on the way. Most of the things people are asking about this week aren't bugs or errors but interface enhancements that will just require a little time to get used to.

That said, if you are experiencing other problems, please start a new thread or contact me from Help > Request Tech Support in the app and I'll address it promptly.

Bandgrl

Thanks Arlo for addressing this issue  ( recordings not playing back))so quickly. As a full time gigging
Musician with no downtime, you gave me a solution and it did indeed work so the show went on.
I am excited for some of the new features and am getting used to the new layout.
I have recommended this app to everyone of my musician friends and will continue to do so.
I count on it now and have followed your instructions at every turn.
Thanks again for responding  to my cry for help, the same day with a solution.
The show must go on! This is an amazingly useful app and worth every penny and every learning curve!

arlo

Apple just approved version 4.0.1, so that should be available for download within a couple hours and it is now available for download. This version should restore links to recordings with empty Artist and Album fields with no workarounds needed.

GeoKeys

:-\ Sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh! I was just tired and upset. I probably touched "update all" like usual. I had no idea there was a major version change coming. As for the missing recordings, I added the required metadata to my songs and they now play, but I'm still having issues with the app crashing when I try to run a gig from a Smart List. I'm sure it will be fixed eventually. That being said, there are a lot of things I DO like about the new version! It's going to be awesome! :)

arlo

Thanks, GeoKeys. If you are experiencing a crash, please send a message from Help > Request Tech Support in the app and fill in the steps leading up to the crash.