Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

iRig BlueBoard setup instructions

Started by arlo, February 06, 2014, 02:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

I just received an IKMultimedia iRig BlueBoard to test with Set List Maker. It's a neat little wireless, four-button pedal that can send MIDI program change or control change messages to iOS apps. Here's a quick guide to setting it up for Set List Maker:

• Insert the batteries and turn on the BlueBoard. The Bluetooth light will start flashing.
  • Install the free iRig BlueBoard app on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch.
  • When you launch the BlueBoard app, it should offer to connect to your BlueBoard. Then the Bluetooth light will stop flashing and remain on.
  • In the app, tap Menu > Settings and change Modes to Ctrl Change, then exit the menu.
  • Tap the three-digit number for button A and change it to 080. Then change buttons B-D to 081-083.
  • Tap the ALL (CH) button and select the channel you want to communicate on. The channel you choose doesn't matter if this is your only MIDI device.
  • Open Set List Maker and navigate to Settings > Remote Control.
  • Set MIDI Input Channel to the channel you chose above.
  • Set MIDI Button Style to Latch since the BlueBoard buttons work in latch mode (i.e, the first press turns them on and a second press turns them off).
  • Scroll down to the Actions section and tap the first action you want to trigger. In the popup window, tap MIDI Controller Messages and select one of the General Purpose Button messages. These are triggered by the four Blueboard buttons.
  • Repeat the previous step to assign an action for each button. For example, I've selected 1: Previous Screen or Song, 2: Next Screen or Song, 3: Document 1 Show/Hide, 4: Recording 1 Start/Stop.
  • Navigate to the Shows list, select a show and select a layout to view it.
  • Now you can use the BlueBoard buttons to trigger the four actions you selected.

Update April 2017

BlueBoards running firmware version 1.2 or later have two new networking modes. The original "BlueBoard Mode" sends messages in a proprietary format that are translated into MIDI by the BlueBoard companion app. The new "Bluetooth Modes" (1 & 2) send messages in standard MIDI, so the BlueBoard app isn't needed. This allows for a simpler setup, as follows:

• Insert the batteries, hold down the B button, and turn on the BlueBoard. This will start the BlueBoard in Bluetooth Mode 1.
  • Open Set List Maker and navigate to Settings > Remote Control.
  • Set MIDI Input Channel to Channel 1.
  • Set MIDI Button Style to Momentary since the BlueBoard buttons work in momentary mode (i.e, pressing turns them on and releasing turns them off).
  • Scroll down to the Actions section and tap the first action you want to trigger. In the popup window, tap MIDI Note Messages and select Note 60, Note 62, Note 64 or Note 65. These are triggered by the four Blueboard buttons.
  • Repeat the previous step to assign an action for each button. For example, I've selected 1: Previous Screen or Song, 2: Next Screen or Song, 3: Document 1 Show/Hide, 4: Recording 1 Start/Stop.
  • Click the MIDI icon in the top toolbar.
  • Tap Connect to a Bluetooth Device and select the BlueBoard from the popup menu. (You'll need to repeat this step each time you want to use the BlueBoard.)
  • Navigate to the Shows list, select a show and select a layout to view it.
  • Now you can use the BlueBoard buttons to trigger the four actions you selected.

More info on the new modes and the firmware update is here: http://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10724

arlo

I just learned that this product requires an iPad 3 or newer, iPhone 4s or newer or iPod touch 5 or newer.

Uwe

Hi,
The Blueboard has two more options for connecting switches or pedals (which do not make sense with slm). It would be very helpful to implement two more ccs for using this function.
Grüße
Uwe

arlo

I'm planning to add support for CCs 64-67, which are various "pedal" messages that some foot switches send.

arlo

Just to confirm: Set List Maker 4.0 will support CC 64-69 for remote control messages.

apilz

Arlo,

Good post, thanks.

I haven't got any kind of pedals yet but this is the next purchase on my list.

One question, would it be possible to map say A and B to select songs, and C and D to advance through patches within a given song?

What I'm looking for is a way to have 3 patches selected by song selection which is done by pedal A or B, and then to use C or D to advance through a set of other patches say to change for a verse / chorus.

I can't see a way of grouping presets in that way at the moment in bandhelper or see easily whether the pedals can be used to select a midi preset.

Thanks
Thanks, Alan

arlo

Yes, you would "group" presets simply by attaching them to a song. Then you can use remote control actions either to step through the presets attached to a song (next/previous preset) or to select a specific preset by its position in the song (1-10, assuming you have that many pedals).

apilz

Great..

I think the second option is preferred as I'm not the only one using the setlist. To follow the first approach I would need to create multiple songs in the setlist, eg Song 1 intro, Song 1 Verse, then Song 2.... Right?
Thanks, Alan

arlo

No, you shouldn't create a separate song for each section of a song. You can just have one song and create separate MIDI presets for verse, chorus, solo, etc. and attach those all to the song.

Robjon11

Hi,

I have managed to get the AX8 to switch presets, via "Setlist Maker" on my Ipad3 as described above (thank you) But, I've got this issue where the Preset change lags the song selected by 1, when I use my iRig BlueTurn footpedal.

this is driving me crazy trying to determine which device/setting is at fault. Could this be an Ax8 setting, or some setup parameter I'm overlooking in SLM or on the IPad?
when I manually select preset in SLM, it works fine. and I swear it was working correctly for a while, but maybe I was not aware enough to realize...
That when I'm using bluetooth pedal for switching/turning to next song, the Midi Preset selected was still the previous one? any suggestions would be appreciated!

btw, I've tried configuring the pedal as both Momentary & Latch in SLM Menu, with no change in issue.

thanks
RJ

arlo

I have managed to get the AX8 to switch presets, via "Setlist Maker" on my Ipad3 as described above (thank you) But, I've got this issue where the Preset change lags the song selected by 1, when I use my iRig BlueTurn footpedal.

Please submit a help ticket here:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia/add.html

In the ticket description, please describe an example of the problem using specific names from your database. Then click Help > Send Troubleshooting Info in the app and enter the assigned ticket ID.

mikejarjoura

Hello Forum,

So, I've not figured this out.  I'm using the iRig Blue Board and BandHelper, and have used CC80-CC83 for SongPrevious/SongNext & PagePrevious/PageNext.  However, the app jump down or up two songs per button press, and page up stops on the 2nd page, and won't go to the 3rd page.  (this occurs on the 'touch the bottom of the page', so maybe they're related)  Any suggestions?  And, great work, Arlo, love the APP

arlo

the app jump down or up two songs per button press

It sounds like you forgot to set Settings > Remote Control > MIDI Button Style to Latch.

page up stops on the 2nd page, and won't go to the 3rd page

This is a problem in the current app version that will be fixed in an update this week.

mikejarjoura

Thank you, Arlo, I did have it set to "LATCH", so I switched it to Momentary and then back to "LATCH", then it works properly.  However, the music page flickers, twice.  Is this a correct action?  The song does advance forward, but then the iPad screen blinks and flashes the song again.  When advancing quickly down the list, the iPad is really flashing a lot.  Hard to look at the screen.

arlo

The song does advance forward, but then the iPad screen blinks and flashes the song again.

Can you submit a help ticket and attach a video that shows the problem? https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia/add.html