Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Possibility to edit [change] MIDI preset # AFTER it's been assigned?

Started by Pongo, July 18, 2014, 03:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pongo

Hi Arlo,

Is it possible for you to include a feature to allow the changing of a preset from within the automation event log?

Currently, we can only adjust the timing of an event, but I'm finding that I sometimes need to change the preset altogether (for example, if I later find a better patch that I want to use, instead of the one that was created and attached to the song). Overwriting the patch in my MIDI device (to be able to use the same number) is an option, but not a very good option, since I like the way that I have my presets arranged and the order in which they are laid out.

I understand that I would need to attach the `new' preset at the song level, but this would eliminate the need to automate the MIDI send commands again from scratch, just to make the replacement.

Thanks,

arlo

I'll put it on my wish list. Meanwhile, you wouldn't have to record all the MIDI events from scratch, you can just delete the ones you want to change and then re-record just those events.

Pongo

Quote from: arlo on July 18, 2014, 03:16:24 PM
I'll put it on my wish list. Meanwhile, you wouldn't have to record all the MIDI events from scratch, you can just delete the ones you want to change and then re-record just those events.

Yes, but that would take quite a bit more time, due to having to record them in real-time and then adjust each event as needed. Being able to simply swap out the preset, or patch number information, would be the ideal solution.

Thanks.

Pongo

Hi Arlo.

Will this be available in SLM 4.1, or is it on the back burner?

Unfortunately the current automation drift issues (http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,584.0.html) make even re-recording these events, problematic.

Thanks,

arlo

It's on my wish list, which basically means I'm waiting for more people to request it before moving it onto my to do list.

Pongo

Well, since it's not likely that anyone else will need this feature...I'm pretty much screwed I guess.

I would be happy to just delete the old midi preset command, in the automation log and replace it with a new preset, but I'd then need to work around the automation drift issue that occurs when overdubbing automation. Will SLM ever be able to accurately handle automation overdubbing?!?!?!

Gee...this is a lose-lose situation I guess.

arlo

If your events drift while overdubbing, you can edit your automation track and nudge them back into place. It's not ideal, but it will work.

Will SLM ever be able to accurately handle automation overdubbing?!?!?!

Yes, but please be patient. I have a very large number of items on my to do list.

Pongo

Understood. I've been having automation overdub issues for many months (from SLM 3.4) and would be most grateful to be able to get SLM working as advertised.

It would be helpful for me, and perhaps others, to know what the top ~ 10 items are that you're working to resolve. If I see it's on your priority list, it would help to squelch my complaining. :)

SLM 4.0.4 is SOOOOOO close to being exactly what I need. So close!

arlo

The upcoming version 4.1 should fix the timing drift issue when overdubbing. It also has a redesigned automation track editing window that lets you edit the values for previously recorded events. More info is here:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/release_notes.html
http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,848.0.html