Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Tap tempo feature

Started by Pongo, May 30, 2014, 03:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pongo

Arlo,

Is there a way to use the tap tempo feature while listening to a recording, to thereby set the tempo?

arlo

Yes, if you play a recording in the main window, then tap the edit button for a song, the recording should keep playing until you save the edit window.

Pongo

This doesn't work on my setup (iPad mini with ios 7.1.1 and latest version of SLM).

When I start playback of a recording in the main window and then try to edit (either by tapping on the > at the far right, or selecting details from the far left), the edit window opens, but playback of the recording stops.

arlo

Are you playing the recording from the same list that you're tapping the edit button (>) from? Last time I tested this, I think it worked in both the Songs list on the left and the set list view on the right, but I don't have any devices running version 3.x to test it with now. I did just check this in the upcoming version 4.0, and it worked fine, so if it is a bug in the current version, it has already been fixed.

Pongo

Yes I am. I will patiently await V 4.0, as this feature is not a necessity for me now.

Oh how I hope my automation overdub issues disappear with SLM 4.0 as well!

Thanks!

arlo

Thanks for your patience. The new version is still on target for release in the second half of June.

Pongo

I just tested this again and have found a way to make it work:

If my device is in landscape mode, in the main window, I have the split-screen. I can play a recording from the left screen, while editing on the right screen. This is the only way to get tap tempo to work while a recording is playing, but that's fine...because it works!

arlo

Okay, I'm glad you found a temporary workaround.

zygor

Pogo said:
"If my device is in landscape mode, in the main window, I have the split-screen. I can play a recording from the left screen, while editing on the right screen."

Just exactly what I needed!
I've been swiping back & forth between my MP3 player app and SLM to notate the chords in the song edit page. I KNEW there was a better way! Thanks guys!

Tags:
Learning songs
Notating chords

wrpooley

I meant to circle back on this thread but time did not allow...

I seem to have found a pretty reliable way to make this work and while I'm not sure if this specific workflow is the secret I was having tremendous difficulty in many other scenarios.  Here are the steps I take.

Hardware: 1 iPhone (6 in this case) running as a hotspot / 2 iPad2's joining that ad hoc network

- both iPads join the iPhone network (doesn't seem to matter in what order)
- open SLM on both iPads (seems to work form either a force quit state OR if already running)
- from the 'Settings/Device Linking' menu (not from icon in top toolbar while in a 'show') set both iPads to 'Broadcast Remote Events'.

TO HAVE iPad-A 'Follow Remote Events From' iPad-B

- on the iPad-A, initiate 'Follow remote control events from...'.  If all is well within 5 seconds or so I see iPad-B as source for remote control events.  IMPORTANT (or maybe not but as I said above I have difficulty in other setups): the IP addresses assigned are a 172 and the specific devices are pretty low - under 7. 
- After choosing iPad-B from search result, iPad-A initiates the request and I 'accept' on iPad-B.  IMPORTANT (or not, like I said above!):  At this point instead of trying to set up remote control in the other direction I 'Stop Following Remote Events' from iPad-B

TO HAVE iPad-B 'Follow Remote Events From' iPad-A

- on the iPad-B, initiate 'Follow remote control events from...'.  If all is well within 5 seconds or so I see iPad-A as source for remote control events. 
- After choosing iPad-A from search result, iPad-B initiates the request and I 'accept' on iPad-A.

After both devices have 'seen/accepted' each other I then go back to iPad-A and choose 'Follow Remote Events from...'.  At this point there is no request made to iPad-B and within a few seconds it has re-established the connection. 

I have found this setup to work every time though I'm not sure why!

UPDATE: I just tried the same approach as above only instead of using a hotspot I used our home router - which assigns 192 address space.  Everything worked as expected however for the life of me I could not get this work earlier AT ALL.  Apologies to Arlo since I know this doesn't help you in any way to debug or even tell you that you need to!  Any way, I post in the hopes that it may get other people out of a bind. 

Again, fantastic product Arlo!

arlo