Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

"Full screen" documents in 4.0

Started by arlo, June 30, 2014, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

Many of you have asked about full-screen documents in the new version 4.0. Whenever you view a document (or lyrics) in version 4, you can tap the center of the document to show it totally full-screen, with nothing else on the screen, then tap again to return.

But what some of you are looking for is a layout like the attached screen shot. The document fills most of the screen, but some buttons and fields are also on the screen. To view this layout in version 4, go to your Shows list and select a show. Then tap the Layouts button (the first button in the utility toolbar at the top right of the screen), and select Document Only or Document Only - Portrait, depending on your device orientation.

To leave the show view from this layout, you will need to tap the resize button at the top left of your screen to show the left column again, then you can tap the Back button at the top of the left column.

If you want to quickly open and close the song list from the Document Only layout, you can use the shortcuts shown at 2:58 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFtWEPg_SeU

More info on song layouts is here:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/tutorials/custom_layouts.html

arlo

P.S. When you are viewing any layout that includes the song info on the right (i.e., the column divider is not all the way to the right), you can change songs by swiping horizontally in the right column. If you are running version 4.0.1 or later, you can also swipe to change songs when viewing a full-screen document from the show view.

fleahead

I don't see where this operates at all like the old 3.0 full screen. I had my shows setup in 3.0 for full automation, whereas, from the Perform mode, I simply tapped the song we were going to play, and SLM showed us the full screen lyrics, started the recording, started the automation recording, and sent all the midi controls... all with one simple tap of the song. I don't have time to be sliding the screen divider slider back and forth to control the show.

Please make the Perform Layout work the way it used to? I don't know what I'm going to do this weekend. I'm pretty much screwed.
Jim in Ohio

arlo

The song selection actions still work the same as before. If you are using a layout that does not include a document viewer (like the List Only layout), the Open Document song selection action will open the document in a truly full-screen display (nothing else on the screen). You can then tap the document to return to the list, or just swipe it to go to the next song, which will trigger all the song selection actions for that song.

If you prefer to see the document almost full screen with other buttons and info around it, you can use the Document Only layout and set up the song list shortcut demonstrated in the video above.

dcraftfrombr

When in "Document Only" and trying to customize, I would like to add a Title +2 to the right of Title +1. There is room at the bottom, but how do I add another field?

Also I like the idea that I can resize the document window to add the notes field below it. Now how can I either change the color of the notes or possibly add a horizontal line to separate the document from the notes?

I hope this makes sense.

arlo

When in "Document Only" and trying to customize, I would like to add a Title +2 to the right of Title +1. There is room at the bottom, but how do I add another field?

There are just four fields available on an iPad (two on an iPhone or iPod). Even if some are unused, all will appear when editing. Unfortunately you can't rearrange them ... so if you want Title +2 to be the fourth field, but Title +1 is currently the fourth field, you'll have to change the fourth field to Title +2 and then change the third field to Title +1.

Also I like the idea that I can resize the document window to add the notes field below it. Now how can I either change the color of the notes or possibly add a horizontal line to separate the document from the notes?

You can format the notes on a song-by-song basis if you edit the songs. Currently there's no way to format the notes field as a whole in the song layout, or to add design elements like divider lines. But those are on my wish list for a future update.

fleahead

Unfortunately, none of these solutions gets me back to what I had in SLM3, whereas, the Perform window was full screen with the controls on the side, and by tapping the song I wanted, the lyrics appeared full screen as well as the controls, then at the end of the recording OR if I tapped the "X" icon, then I was returned to the full screen list.

If I choose the List Only layout, with window slider icon FULLY to the left, then tap on the song I want to play, the full screen lyrics pops up, the recording starts, and all the other actions take place that I have optioned in Automation settings. And when the recording terminates, then I am returned to the full screen list. The problem is that if happen to tap the wrong song, and tap the screen to go back to list, the recording continues to play, and I have no control of it. This is because this full screen lyrics screen that popped up when I started the song has nothing to do with the chosen layout. I don't know what this screen is, but there is no way to place any control options on it, and in fact the top system icons are not even present. If there was some way put controls on this screen, then this would solve these full screen problems.

One thing I've figured out, so far, is that there really isn't any difference in the various layouts, as far as functionality goes. It's just how the options and control icons are arranged on the layout that makes them different. I can make any of them look and function exactly the same as any of the others. They may as well just been called Layout#1, Layout#2, .... as so forth. Not that there is anything wrong with this flexibility. It just occurred to me because I was thinking in the terms of Perform Mode rather than Perform Layout.

Life was so simple in the old days.
Jim in Ohio

arlo

Unfortunately, none of these solutions gets me back to what I had in SLM3, whereas, the Perform window was full screen with the controls on the side, and by tapping the song I wanted, the lyrics appeared full screen as well as the controls, then at the end of the recording OR if I tapped the "X" icon, then I was returned to the full screen list.

Did you watch this video, starting at 2:58?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFtWEPg_SeU

The problem is that if happen to tap the wrong song, and tap the screen to go back to list, the recording continues to play, and I have no control of it.

This is a bug that you reported by email, and I'm still working on it.

One thing I've figured out, so far, is that there really isn't any difference in the various layouts, as far as functionality goes. It's just how the options and control icons are arranged on the layout that makes them different.

The functionality could be different between layouts depending on what buttons or controls they include. For example, a layout will only have looping functionality if it includes the recording controls. But fundamentally, yes, the difference between layouts is the items they include and the way those items are laid out.

Noxious

I'm with Fleahead!

Had everything down in old version and it worked well.
1. Kick off a set list and it would display in list view
2. Tap song and lyrics would open in full screen with controls, automation would kick off and recording/midi etc would act as I needed it.
3. At completion of the song, screen would return to list view
4. Had full control so that if I needed to see list view I could without affecting the layout

Argo, can you please see if there a way for us to configure a layout that does this?  From reading many of the forum posts, part of the problem is that many people don't understand completely all the new functionality yet.  I know I am having difficulty translating from the older to the new.

Great app, Arlo.  We just need to figure out how to use this new flexibility in the app

noxious.

Quote from: fleahead on July 10, 2014, 07:31:07 AM

If I choose the List Only layout, with window slider icon FULLY to the left, then tap on the song I want to play, the full screen lyrics pops up, the recording starts, and all the other actions take place that I have optioned in Automation settings. And when the recording terminates, then I am returned to the full screen list. The problem is that if happen to tap the wrong song, and tap the screen to go back to list, the recording continues to play, and I have no control of it. This is because this full screen lyrics screen that popped up when I started the song has nothing to do with the chosen layout. I don't know what this screen is, but there is no way to place any control options on it, and in fact the top system icons are not even present. If there was some way put controls on this screen, then this would solve these full screen problems.

One thing I've figured out, so far, is that there really isn't any difference in the various layouts, as far as functionality goes. It's just how the options and control icons are arranged on the layout that makes them different. I can make any of them look and function exactly the same as any of the others. They may as well just been called Layout#1, Layout#2, .... as so forth. Not that there is anything wrong with this flexibility. It just occurred to me because I was thinking in the terms of Perform Mode rather than Perform Layout.

Life was so simple in the old days.

arlo

Did you watch the video I posted above? It shows how to switch quickly between a list-only view and a document-only view like you described.

It doesn't cover the song selection actions to start your recording and send your MIDI, but that should already be set up if you were using it before. If not, you can turn on those options in Settings > Automation > Song Selection Actions.

It also doesn't cover the song completion action to open the song list when your recording finishes, but that option is available at Settings > Automation > Song Completion Actions > Open Song List.

Please give it a try and if you get stuck, let me know what part you get stuck at.

keymastermoe

Hello,

is it possible to deactivate the change of songs when swiping in the full-screen document mode (in the show view)?
This function is very dangerous for me because I'm using the backing tracks live on stage. And when I'm swiping in the full screen mode (that happens very fast and sensitive) then my backing track also stops. :-(  How can i configure that?  (In the versions before it was possible to swipe in the full screen document mode so that i could see the lyrics of an other song but the backing track of the song before was still playing).

I have a second problem: In the versions before it was possible to select a new song during the backing track of an other song was still playing. Now it is no longer possible: When I select a new song then the backing track of the song before stops. How can i configure that?

arlo

keymastermoe, you sent the same message by email and I already replied to that.

Pongo

Are you planning to create a tutorial, or video, for those that are using iPhones with SLM 4?

For example, the first image that you show here:
http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/tutorials/custom_layouts.html

Seems to show the layout options for iPhone or iPod users, but the second image shows a display from an iPad (with the `grip' icon), which is not available on those devices.

I've yet to create a layout on my iPhone that shows the document in the majority of the screen, with a couple of song info items to the left. So far, the closest that I can get is a document that fills ~ 1/2 of the screen with the buttons, where the right side of the document in aligned with the layouts button. I'm wasting half of the valuable real estate on the tiny screen. LOL!

arlo

Quote from: Pongo on July 15, 2014, 09:30:21 PM
Are you planning to create a tutorial, or video, for those that are using iPhones with SLM 4?

No, I'm not planning to record separate, iPhone-specific tutorials or videos. Generally the iPhone will display what you see in the left (navigation) column of the iPad, until you reach the end of a navigation path and then it will display what you see in the right column of the iPad.

Pongo

Quote from: fleahead on July 10, 2014, 07:31:07 AM
The problem is that if happen to tap the wrong song, and tap the screen to go back to list, the recording continues to play, and I have no control of it.

Until Arlo releases the update to remedy this problem, you could use an A/B box, where the `B' port is, in essence, the `kill switch' for the recording.