Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

share auto-scroll values between devices

Started by Pongo, July 04, 2014, 09:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pongo

Hi Arlo,

I wasn't able to find another thread, for those of us that are using SLM, to post features that we would like to see in future updates.

For me, the biggest wish list item would be for SLM to be able to automatically change the zoom scale of my documents (mostly lyrics) between devices with varying screen sizes.

For example, a document that is zoomed in landscape mode on my iPad mini, with either auto scroll or manually scrolling the document (by use of an automation layer) works great. However, when the same song is played on my iPhone (with a substantially smaller screen, obviously) it doesn't work so well. Would you be able to have SLM know what device it is running on, and then know how to convert the document's zoom scale calculation between screen sizes? It would seem to be a simple calculation, if you (or even the end user) could enter the screen size into SLM for each device. The second step would be to recalculate the scrolling speed (or automation event timing for `scroll page to...') between devices, in essence speeding up the scroll speed on the iPhone...I think???

This would mean that the document that I am viewing on the iPad Mini might display verse 1, chorus 1 and verse 2, before playback starts (whether it be with auto scroll or automation), but on the iPhone it might only display V1, so that the text can fill the screen and not require the Hubble Space Telescope to read the lyrics.

Without this feature, it's very difficult to have auto scroll (that's not entirely synced with the duration of the recording) translate properly between my devices.

Thanks again for all that you are doing,

Steve

arlo

Currently the app scales text sizes based on the width of the current document viewer (which might be the full width of the screen, or a smaller size depending on your layout design). That means if you set up line breaks to wrap your lyrics a certain way, that should give you the same line wrapping wherever you view the lyrics.

I suspect any problem with auto-scrolling values not transferring between devices is because the document viewer -height- is also different in that situation, and the auto-scroll speed uses the height as part of its calculations. That's still on my to do list to look into from when you asked about it in another thread.

By the way, putting everyone's wish list items into one thread would make it very difficult to converse about any particular item, so I renamed this post to refer specifically to this item. For new requests, please start a new thread or email me directly. Also, please try to avoid making the same request multiple times, because then I have to spend more time responding and tracking your messages and less time developing the features you are requesting.  :)

Pongo

My apologies Arlo.

Would you consider starting a thread where you list all of the items on your `to do list' for future releases and perhaps the level of interest that you personally have for those items? I'd like to know if this issue would be of interest to anyone else that uses SLM on multiple devices.

Now...get back to your day off!  ;)

arlo

Would you consider starting a thread where you list all of the items on your `to do list' for future releases and perhaps the level of interest that you personally have for those items?
I'd like to know if this issue would be of interest to anyone else that uses SLM on multiple devices.

I've thought about making this public, but it would take more time to manage. I have 350 items on there now and my internal tracking system is pretty efficient. You can always ask how much interest there is for a particular feature or where it stands in my priorities. In this case, you are the only person that has asked about it. That is one factor, but not the only factor, in how I prioritize my work.

Now...get back to your day off!  ;)

Oh yeah, great idea!