Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

App Store Reviews

Started by arlo, July 04, 2014, 12:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

I don't mind hearing honest feedback about my work, but when I read the App Store reviews that some people write, I can't help but feel frustrated and discouraged about continuing to develop my apps. If you want to review my products, I'd sure appreciate you keeping these thoughts in mind:

1) Contact me first. Most of the problems I see mentioned in the reviews have easy solutions that I can share with you if you contact me. If you just write a bad review instead, then you don't get your problem solved, and I don't get new users ... we both lose.

2) Don't rush to judge. If I release a major new redesign (version 4.0), please don't condemn it the day it is released. Wait for version 4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 to see what happens. If you can't tolerate any imperfections in your software, then you shouldn't be installing these early versions anyway.

3) Be specific. A review that says, "This app is terrible, don't use it" doesn't help anyone. It assumes everyone has the same needs and expectations as yours. Something like "the tempo clicks are not as accurate as my drum machine" will let another reader know whether the limitations you see are relevant for their use. It also helps me see what areas need more work, although #1 above is better because I can ask follow-up questions to address your exact needs.

4) Remember that I can't contact reviewers. If you ask a question or demand some kind of help in your review, you will be disappointed. Your review is anonymous and I have no way to reply.

5) Revise your review if needed. If you find a problem and I solve it, you can update your review. Just review the app again and your update will replace the old version. I've had people write terrible reviews, then contact me and I solved their problem, but they left the terrible review out there. Some thanks that is!

We all want a better product, but I need more users to fund future development, and I need fair and accurate reviews to attract new users. Thanks for your help.

DarthMarklar

Hi Arlo, sorry you've been getting such negative reviews. People are way too cruel when they're behind the keyboard.

I like the new functions in the update, but there have definitely been some issues. I think I may have found some sort of bug that you might want to be aware of.

I'll start a new topic on it, but just wanted to show my support. Keep up the great work.

Thanks again for the awesome app. I know you're working out the issues and we definitely appreciate it.

-Mark

fleahead

And how many "negative" remarks are purposely posted by the competition? Your small army of us dedicated SLM users will aways be there to back you up.
Jim in Ohio

chatfd

Reviewers just listen to that song: What Have You Done For Me lately!
The changes were tough - but too many people give up!  Don't Worry be Happy!
And don't let it bother you - just keep on making the APP better & better!

It is coming along - and my first REAL test is this weekend.  It's been a battle but it's going to be fine!

And you are the Glue Arlo.  I've contacted you & you've been great!  Always a reply, as you always try.  Nobody Does it better!
I can imagine some have been cruel.  These changes you've made also helped me get my own documents/pdf's in order too! I've cleaned up a ton of stuff!

The new updated 4's version has some great stuff in it.  BTW: every read this comic strip? ---> http://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis?

Danny

Hi Arlo

I find the App Store bloody awful to use, I am british living in Spain, I use the spanish store, I don't know if it's possible to read the reviews from other countries, I am surprised you sell anything at all, the search on the store is rubbish, I struggle maybe because of the less than a quarter of a Meg adsl I suffer too, I wrote a nice review of your app, I can't bloody find it? I definately submitted it.

I read a poor review lately of Slm from a user on mackie forum who demanded a refund apparently, I get the feeling he bought the app, tried it for 5 minutes and rated it, I have given you a good shout on these forums but people are very fickle and obstinate, no wonder you get peed off. I think it's fair to say your app is not something you migrate to in a few minutes, like many samey and limited other offerings,  I have had many a long night figuring out what all its features do, and I think i am a good position to give it a good and fair rating which would be excellent++

Please don't let the knockers get you down,

I have to ask one question Arlo, please don't take offence,

If you were  a customer searching for  an app with the features of Slm, do you think the name" set list maker" , actually does your work justice, the app is so much more than  what the name suggests, I have just revisited the store and read the description of your app, and all the stuff that is the most important to me, performance , is last on the list, this is just my view, if i was going to give your app a  nick name that reflects it's talent, I would call it elvis or Michael Jackson , I think right now it's a bit john smith,

Regarding your efforts, I have no problem paying a few dollars for updates without improvements and features to comply with iOS updates, why don't you just charge us? Or does Apple prohibit that?

Cheers

Danny

Edit, can't even see what I am  typing what's going with Apple i get this problem a lot , the keyboard hides the text and the cursor? Is this a hint they want me to stop typing?

http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/kevtylerz/?action=view&current=b6c8fc13ff88dbfd4d4e78aed1b93962_zps7fef54d7.jpg

Danny

I just read the history of how the app developed, I get it with the name now, sorry.

I have been in bands all my life, I though writing the set out ten minutes before the show started and then discarding it was the norm.

For an app that does not really sell itself as a playback app , it's the best I've seen so far.

Danny

arlo

I wrote a nice review of your app, I can't bloody find it? I definately submitted it.

Thanks. Apple checks all reviews before posting, so maybe it hasn't gone through their process yet.

If you were  a customer searching for  an app with the features of Slm, do you think the name" set list maker" , actually does your work justice, the app is so much more than  what the name suggests, I have just revisited the store and read the description of your app, and all the stuff that is the most important to me, performance , is last on the list, this is just my view, if i was going to give your app a  nick name that reflects it's talent, I would call it elvis or Michael Jackson , I think right now it's a bit john smith,

Ha ha ... as you mentioned below, the app has evolved a lot from its original idea. There are more apps out there now for making set lists, so I should rewrite the App Store description to highlight the more unique features. Set List Maker's big brother, BandHelper, has a more inclusive name because I had more of a long-term vision for that product.

Regarding your efforts, I have no problem paying a few dollars for updates without improvements and features to comply with iOS updates, why don't you just charge us? Or does Apple prohibit that?

I can't charge for version updates or iOS compatibility updates, even though the latter takes a lot of my time every year. The only thing I can charge existing users for is in-app purchases for particular features. Maybe I have been too generous with those -- the new custom song layouts were free, for example -- but I want to keep that side of things fairly simple, and people often complain about in-app purchases. I wish I had better options. BandHelper takes a different approach and includes all features for all your bandmates for a single subscription fee.

Edit, can't even see what I am  typing what's going with Apple i get this problem a lot , the keyboard hides the text and the cursor? Is this a hint they want me to stop typing?

The iPad's split keyboard mode might be useful in a situation like that:

http://www.cultofmac.com/220203/mastering-ios-keyboard-dock-undock-split-ipad-ios-tips/

Or just rotating to portrait orientation. But both options will reduce the size of the keyboard as a trade-off for more space for the content.

Danny

Hi Arlo

It seems really unfair the amount of work that their  updates throw in your lap, but that's life I guess.

Regarding flipping the pad  to bring the cursor and text back, that did not work and I had to abandon that review, I hope that does not happen to too many others, but I get that a lot.

With relation to the name of the app and consumer pre conception, , I don't know what the costing of having Apple host your ware would be,  I am just typing out loud, , could you host a near identical version of SLM with a name to attract those who are potential purchasers of a live play back app?

Forgive me, I am not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, because I have just searched the store using the following 3 searches

Show control

Backing tracks

Set list

I don't how you would give an app an appropriate title to get it in the right grouping after a search like this shows up so many dodgy looking offerings.

Thanks Arlo

Cheers

Danny

arlo

Quote from: Danny on October 18, 2014, 06:04:16 AM
If you were  a customer searching for  an app with the features of Slm, do you think the name" set list maker" , actually does your work justice, the app is so much more than  what the name suggests, I have just revisited the store and read the description of your app, and all the stuff that is the most important to me, performance , is last on the list

I just rewrote the app description; the update won't appear in the App Store for a while, but it's on my home page now. What do you think?

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/