Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Adding a pause before a recording starts

Started by doglegleftmusic, July 06, 2014, 09:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doglegleftmusic

I'm beginning to start to add recordings and playing them as backtracks. I haven't switched to 4.0 and it's updates as current version does everything I need. When I have down time I will carefully watch the issues and Arlo's quick fixes.  Anyway, My question is when I bring in from garage band, for example it jumps right to it.  I think I can add a pause in g-band, but I have songs already attached that start immediately when I hit the recording icon.  Anyway, is there a way to add a second or two before the recording starts when touching the play recording button. I've looked everywhere it might but can't find a way?...
Arlo. Keep up the great work. This is an amazing app and am sure the big update will prove excellent but I am slow to chane!

arlo

There's no way to do this now. Would you want the same amount of pause each time you play every song, or a different pause defined for each song, or would you want different pauses in different situations even with the same song?

doglegleftmusic

Thx Arlo... That's a good question.  For me, I think it would be nice to have the ability to set a pause prior to an individual recording.  Oh and to confirm, I am describing this for live playing in "perform" mode (haven't updated to 4.x yet).  Between songs I may have different time needs so the ability to manually set each would give some versatility. I'm guessing it would be an easier add as a global setting for you, but as long as I know the time there would be no surprises as to when the actual recording begins.  This is especially true on "home" recorded backtracks.

I also pondered maybe a click track or similar but I think that would get very redundant for an audience and be sort of cheesy sounding.  My probable solution is to get more proficient with my recordings in garage band, but I think this option would be nice.

As always, thanks Arlo!

arlo

I think the most logical option would be a setting in the recording edit window, along with the trim and volume values for the recording. With that setup, a given recording would always start with the same pause, but you could have different pause lengths for different recordings. Does that make sense?

doglegleftmusic

Yes. I think that would make sense. It sounds like sort of what I was thinking.  In my search for a way to do it I went to recordings, selected the song and can save different volume levels (which is great) but "trim from start" and "trim from end" which default at "0.0 sec" are the only options in this screen.  Excuse my ignorance, but is a possible option to set it to go to say "-2.0 sec" in affect pausing for 2 seconds before starting the recording at 0.0?
Thanks Arlo!

arlo

A negative trim value was my first thought, but I think a separate pause value would be more logical. Also, then you could potentially trim unwanted material from the beginning of the recording, AND start it after a pause. I'll put this on my wish list.

doglegleftmusic

Hi Arlo,
checking in to see if there is a way to add time to a recording prior to it starting when hitting the recording button.  Options were a "negative" trim i.e. -1.0 seconds or as you mentioned, a separate pause value.  In the Recordings View I can trim the song but not add time. 

Thanks as always.... The best app on the planet!

arlo

This is still on my wish list -- does that answer your question?

doglegleftmusic

Yes, maybe it'll make the next cut!
Thanks Arlo